PDA

View Full Version : Help - may I have them together????

Diana_S
01-23-2009, 08:46 PM
Hi!

My name is Diana, and I did my introduction today: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6234 (http://www.hamstercentral.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6234)

I had explain there my case... but... I'm in other forums too, and I know that most of this topics are only to say "Hi" and for that reason, many people don't read them. So... I'm here to explain my situation! :mrgreen:

If there is any problem because this topic is about the same thing that "Hello from Portugal", I'm sorry! It is only because I'm desperate to have an answer: Do I really need to separate the couple???

Thank you for your attention!

selkie
01-24-2009, 06:51 AM
hi diana,

yes u do need to seperate them. if they are def male and female u will have babies. i ended up with my first babies by accident and was completely unprepared. u know they are opposite sex so have a chance to do the right thing and split them.

if u are wrong and they are 2 males or 2 females they will fight and one will die. no maybe definately.

if u have babies once they are old enough u will need to split them up seperatley into individual cages otherwise u will get inbred babies as well as the litter murdering each other.

this next bit i am only telling u so you know the serious problems that happen with breeding hamsters.

if all babies live to 4/5 weeks, siblings kill and eat each other if they are put in groups of all males and all female. so just cos mum and dad havent killed any doesnt mean they will be ok.
i had one litter bit their mum and kept going so her intestines were hanging out. my dad had to kill her, there was no other way and she was in so much pain we couldnt wait for the vet.
another litter had done the same thing but by the time i got there my mummy ham was dead. dad died a few days later from grief.
one litter id split into males and females. i come in one day and all the girls were chasing one up the bars. they were going to kill her, i am the only reason she lived to be an old lady. they had already ripped onev ear clean off, u could see the bone. she was in a lot of pain and the vet had never seen anything like this. we thought she would die anyway. after that every baby in that litter was split into its own cage.
every hamster ive got since then has been split into its own cage. they do not stop until only one is left alive and that is the truth.

all these things are true and they all happened to my own hamsters.
this is me not going into all the things same sex pairs do to each other :(

seriously think about what u are doing. baby hams are beautiful but the cost of having them often outweighes any joys. split them, its for the best

Diana_S
01-24-2009, 01:15 PM
Ok, thank you very much selkie! I realy didn't know what to do!!!! Thanks!!!! :D

selkie
01-24-2009, 03:42 PM
:D ure welcome, just if u do ever decide to breed make sure u know what ure doing. hamsters live in a cut throat world :shock: