PDA

View Full Version : advice need how to help very scared ham

maxdawn
02-21-2015, 05:16 AM
I got a rescue Chinese hamster 4 weeks ago. For the first 3 weeks he wouldn't come out of his house if I was in the room. Then I put card board on the top and 3 of the sides of the cage hoping this would make him feel safer.
This has helped for a week now he will come out of he's house but just sit in the corner of he's cage.
He is playing and moving around his cage when I go off to bed because I find he's poos on he's wheel ect.
Since I've had he I have only gone in his cage once a day to do food and water. I have just left him alone to get used to things.
But I do feel sad for him, he is so very scared. How can I help him settle in and is it normal to take so long for him to settle in.

cypher
02-21-2015, 05:35 AM
I have an adoption Chinese & she was very like yours to begin with, they do take some time to tame & are very timid at first so don't worry too much!
Always approach the cage very slowly & speak to him as you get close to avoid startling him, the do startle very easily, be careful not make any sudden movements.
Spend as much time as you can near the cage speaking quietly to your ham & he will gradually get used to you being there.
Make sure he has plenty of substrate to burrow in & lots of places to hide away if he gets a bit scared.
You could do the tissue thing, put a tissue up your sleeve for a few hours then put it in the cage so he gets used to your scent, do that each day for a while.
You will need patience & effort but it's so worth it in the end, my chinese is still very easily startled if I'm not careful but she's become really confident & cheeky & loves to sit in my hands or climb into my sleeves! I'm sure yours will get there in time.

Piebald
02-21-2015, 05:55 AM
I saved this post from Nancy because although she was talking dealing with blind critters the advice seems very good for any timid ham:
http://www.hamstercentral.com/community/702463-post6.html
Routine, consistency and working with his strengths should help.
Good luck! x

cypher
02-21-2015, 06:53 AM
I agree that Nancy's ideas for a blind ham are great Piebald but tbh if my chinese is fairly typical of adopted/rescued non breeder chinese which I think she is strong scents & rustling the bedding would probably have scared her half to death when I first had her!

maxdawn
02-21-2015, 12:40 PM
I have an adoption Chinese & she was very like yours to begin with, they do take some time to tame & are very timid at first so don't worry too much!
Always approach the cage very slowly & speak to him as you get close to avoid startling him, the do startle very easily, be careful not make any sudden movements.
Spend as much time as you can near the cage speaking quietly to your ham & he will gradually get used to you being there.
Make sure he has plenty of substrate to burrow in & lots of places to hide away if he gets a bit scared.
You could do the tissue thing, put a tissue up your sleeve for a few hours then put it in the cage so he gets used to your scent, do that each day for a while.
You will need patience & effort but it's so worth it in the end, my chinese is still very easily startled if I'm not careful but she's become really confident & cheeky & loves to sit in my hands or climb into my sleeves! I'm sure yours will get there in time.
Thanks Cypher that is reassuring as I am doing all the things you say. I was worried i was doing something wrong

maxdawn
02-21-2015, 12:41 PM
I saved this post from Nancy because although she was talking dealing with blind critters the advice seems very good for any timid ham:
http://www.hamstercentral.com/community/702463-post6.html
Routine, consistency and working with his strengths should help.
Good luck! x
Thank you I will have a read

Thin Lizzy
02-23-2015, 08:08 AM
You're doing fine! Letting him adjust.
The tissue trick is a great way to let them recognise your scent.