PDA

View Full Version : Is Otto ok?

JodyMay
02-05-2015, 02:44 AM
Ok, so Christmas 2014 we did secret santa at work.

My gift was a hamster, his name is otto and at the time was 5 weeks old.. I have no idea where they got the idea to get me a hamster but i love all kinds of animals so was naturally happy.

First thing I noticed was how tiny the cage was that he was given to me in. I didn't have the cash to buy a bigger cage but I did have a gerbilarium from my gerbil luna who passed last year. I have since made Otto (hamster) a bin cage which is much larger because he was chewing the bars of the other cage and I figured it was a space issue.

I just wanted to ask if it was normal for him to try and climb up the sides of the bin for a good hour or so, he has a 12" silent spinner, a suspended bridge, a couple hideouts and lots of things to chew on.

Another weird thing he does, when i wake up at, I don't know say 3am. Switch my light on to go to the bathroom, he's sitting in the closest corner to my bed, and just staring at me. He's an odd ball but he's really friendly. I just want to make sure he's totally happy.. :confused:

Thanks in advance!

Thin Lizzy
02-05-2015, 06:42 AM
Perfectly normal behaviour climbing up the sides!
Hammies are strange but so adorable.
He's probably gotten use to you switching the light on to go to the loo, they're good at staring lol!
Maybe he doesn't like the light going on. Probably thinks "I can do the toilet in the dark, why can't she"?
Ha-ha!
He's marking his territory.

JodyMay
02-05-2015, 06:46 AM
Thats ok then, thanks for replying. Yeah, he stares.. ALOT, but only at me, I'm not interesting to look at haha! He's probably like "what is that?" haha.

I just hope he's happy, in his cage, I know i wouldn't want to be in one place all the time but its the only way we can care for them I guess.

Thank you!

Thin Lizzy
02-05-2015, 07:00 AM
My oldest hammie stares at me, I've tried to outstare him but I end up looking away!
He's happy, he's in a bigger cage. All hamster personalities are different, speak to him more and praise him.
You've only had him a couple of months, some take a while to adjust.