PDA

View Full Version : A couple of wheely big questions

velma
02-02-2015, 05:39 PM
Sorry, another wheel thread I know but I didn't want to hijack other people's.
Basically, it's a bit of a ramble followed by some questions if you want to skip to the end :)

Cleo, my Syrian is getting her cage upgraded in the next couple of weeks so that I can give her a bigger wheel. She currently has an 8" comfort wheel & while not horribly squashed, it's smaller for her than I'd like. In theory I like the idea of a 12" silent spinner as I liked the medium size when Hector had it but the large is just too, well, large. It won't fit in the new tank because apparently it's taller than my entire house :mad: & even if it did fit I think it would be too bulky anyway. I wish they did an in between size. I liked the idea of a wooden wheel but a couple of things on HC that I've read have put me off, to do with splinters & rough edges. And to be honest I'm pretty sure she'd eat it :) So.... I've decided on a wodent wheel style covered in wheel.

My first question is: Is there much difference between the wodent wheel & the trixie covered in wheel? Or even the savic one. Any preference for any particular reason?
My second question is: If I get the wodent wheel, is the wobust hugely chunky compared to the senior? I've looked at the measurements but don't know now much benefit the extra depth gives?
My third question is: As I'm changing her tank (I plan on putting as much of her stuff from her current cage in there as I can to minimise stress) should I put her current wheel in 'til she settles in & then change it? So she can run off her stress straight away not have to figure out how to use it. Or should I put the new wheel in as soon as I swap her?

Thank you! :)

velma
02-03-2015, 10:22 AM
Anyone? I'm hoping to get the wheel ordered this week so everything will arrive at around the same time.

Thanks you :D

RubyDG
02-03-2015, 10:59 AM
I would keep her old wheel in for a few days just to minimize stress, particularly if she likes to use it alot. I can't advise too much on wheels I'm afraid, I've only ever had the 28cm Trixie wheel. While it is high I don't find it to have a lot of depth - basically I think it's as economical with the space it takes up as it can be, as opposed to something like the Silent Spinner. I believe the Wodent Wheel is pretty much the same but possibly a bit better quality and more silent, although I'm very happy with my Trixie. I place it directly on the base of the cage and put a heavy flat rock on the bottom of the standy bit (I then cover with a layer of substrate). This gives it zero wobble and aside from a very light whirring noise it's almost completely silent. My Syrian is fairly big (and getting bigger - 172 grams and counting!) and he's pretty 'heavy footed' when he runs. The Trixie holds up nicely but if I had a do-over I would get a Wodent Wheel even though they are pricier as I believe they are a bit sturdier.

LavoChain
02-03-2015, 11:05 AM
I have both of those wheels (Trixie and Wodent) neither makes more sound than the other and the Trixie takes up less space as it is slightly slimmer. Both of our hams have them cable tied to the top of their cages (by the stand) and other than a slight whirring I haven't noticed much. It is worth noting though that Robbie who has the Trixie is only 130g atm and Mo is 240g - I'm not sure if a Trixie would be as quiet with her weight.

velma
02-03-2015, 11:18 AM
Thanks RubyDG, that's good to know.

LavoChain, what size Wodent wheel do you have?

LavoChain
02-03-2015, 11:22 AM
Sorry I probably should have said. I'm pretty sure it is the Wobust, it is great for her size but is pretty chunky.

velma
02-03-2015, 01:35 PM
Okay. Thank you! I might just go with the senior wheel as Cleo doesn't seem to be spilling out of her comfort wheel or anything. I don't want to give her less than she needs but I also don't want to waste her space in the cage if it's of no real benefit to her when it would seem she'd rather have that space for digging humonga-nests :)