PDA

View Full Version : Trixie wooden wheel injury

Gatsby
02-02-2015, 04:28 AM
Well I got my young Syrian a wooden trixie wheel to try, I placed it in Odins cage, came in this morning and there was a trail of blood in the wheel. Its been from where he was treading, every time I look at the wheel I feel like punching my self.

I've checked him over he seems OK but needless to say I won't be letting him use it again. M so annoyed as he is a very very timid hamster and I've been taking things very slowly with him, the slightest little thing could knock him back.
I've just been getting a nice bit of trust established with him taking food from me, it was hit and miss some days but he's getting lots better, I'm hoping this with the wheel does not affect it.

So has anyone had any bother with them? I've sent the shop an email.

cypher
02-02-2015, 05:15 AM
That's a real shame, don't beat yourself up about it though, they really should be safe.
I know someone had a similar problem, SinNyx I think & won't use wooden wheels now but I've used a few different ones with no problems, forever checking to be sure but so far they've been fine.
I do plastikote mine with 2 or 3 coats though so I don't know if that would make a difference & protect them from anything like little splinters or anything else that might hurt their feet.

racinghamster
02-02-2015, 05:41 AM
I admit that was one of the main reasons I was put off buying a wooden wheel as I`d read about hamsters feet bleeding while running on the surface. As cypher pointed out, these wheels are better prepared if lightly sanded down and coated with a few layers of hard coat safe paint or varnish, but there is always the fear the hamster will chew at it too.

Make sure Odin`s paw pads are not sore. If they are, just wipe them with salt water on a cotton pad. If the wheel has been taken away, all the better. It`s a shame the maker`s don`t use a coated plastic surface on these wheels. x

Gatsby
02-02-2015, 05:59 AM
Aye I took the wheel away and put in the large flying saucer. The reason I'm angry at myself is I usually tinker with things, sand, coat etc but on this occasion I never, I don't know why I never, its typical

I've checked his paws, wiped with cool boiled water, I will add salt next time like you say. They look ok so the wound is tiny but it's enough.

The thing is they would be nice wheels if they were finished a bit better. I'm going to send Trixie an email too, if this is a common problem then they need to redesign the tread on the wheel

Pebbles82
02-02-2015, 06:13 AM
I have the Karlie Wonderland 29cm wooden wheel and it is nice and smooth - had no problems at all with it. I think I have read that some of the Trixie wood things have splinters and nails. Mine only cost £9.99 from Zooplus - have a look on there at them.

Gatsby
02-02-2015, 07:23 AM
I have the Karlie Wonderland 29cm wooden wheel and it is nice and smooth - had no problems at all with it. I think I have read that some of the Trixie wood things have splinters and nails. Mine only cost £9.99 from Zooplus - have a look on there at them.

Yeah I've got a couple of the wonderland models, no problems health wise, one does make a strange noise as if its fouling on the body, must be the bearing as I can't see anything. Other than that its great, I just thought I would give the trixy one a try. £9.99 is a good deal for one I reckon :)

Thin Lizzy
02-02-2015, 03:14 PM
Gatsby - please don't blame yourself, you've been tending to Odins and he knows this.He knows you didn't mean to hurt him.
I'm glad you've reported it to the shop and Trixy.
As for it setting Odin back, I don't think it will.You've put the flying saucer back in and treating his cut.
I had been seriously thinking of getting a wooden wheel for mine but, I won't be now.

Gatsby
02-02-2015, 03:34 PM
Gatsby - please don't blame yourself, you've been tending to Odins and he knows this.He knows you didn't mean to hurt him.
I'm glad you've reported it to the shop and Trixy.
As for it setting Odin back, I don't think it will.You've put the flying saucer back in and treating his cut.
I had been seriously thinking of getting a wooden wheel for mine but, I won't be now.

I wouldn't let it put you off the kaytee wonderland, they are nice big wheels, the trixie ones however need a bit of finishing. Will see what the shop says tomorrow, Im in conversation with the now so will see what arises out of it

Thin Lizzy
02-02-2015, 03:37 PM
I'll check out kaytee wonderland.

Gatsby
02-02-2015, 03:42 PM
Its karlie wonderland, no idea where I got kaytee from lol

Wonderland Exercise Wheel: Great Small Pet Accessories at zooplus (http://m.zooplus.co.uk/shop/small_pets/toys_transport/hamster_toys/125485)

Thin Lizzy
02-02-2015, 03:48 PM
Yes I got that when I clicked it.
Kaytee do the silent spinner.

Gatsby
02-02-2015, 06:24 PM
Yes I got that when I clicked it.
Kaytee do the silent spinner.

Ah that's probably why its stuck in my head :roll: lol