PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on what to do with robo

12-30-2008, 12:16 PM
I have a male robo hamster who's approx. a year and half.
I adopted him from p@h about a year ago-ish.
He lives alone, always has.
Since I got him, he's been a bit crazy, running around mad, bobbing up & down the sides
of the cages trying to escape.
He has a good size cage, a gabber rex.
He's doesn't get handled at all. When I got him, I was told he'd never been handled, or if he had, he wasn't
handled much, and I have tried a few times myself, but he bit me and was very unhappy about the whole thing.
Lately he seems unhappy, like I said, always looking as though he's trying to escape and being a bit nuts.
Tomorrow I'm going to try and give his cage a bit of a make-over, to see if it'll maybe cheer him up
if he's bored.
However, I'm not really sure what to do with him.
I thought about giving him away to someone with more experience with robos (I have virtually none), as I
have only had 1 syrian in the past, 2 chinese hamsters (1 died, I still have the other 1) & I also currently have a dwarf hamster.
I've also thought about getting him a friend as I thought he may be lonely, however I really would rather not
have the hassle of this, as I've had to split 2 hammies before which was upsetting, and I also thought he may be
to old to introduce another hamster to.

If anyone has any ideas of what would be the best thing to do for him, I'd really appreciate it
as I hate to see him unhappy.
Thanks

j-alexandria
12-30-2008, 12:50 PM
He's probably in a hammy depression. He is 1 1/2 and doesn't have any company and is never handled. I'd be depressed to if I was a ham.
The only advice I can give you is to either handle him more or find someone who isn't afraid to handle him. If he has only been handled a couple of times I would expect him to be a biter because he has no clue if humans are harmful or not and I guess that's his only form of protection as he is so little.
He is probably just lonely. :(

souffle
12-30-2008, 01:14 PM
At this age I would say it is not a good idea to introduce another hamster. Try to change his environment a bit to make it more interesting. Add boxes with holes cut in to climb in and out, chew sticks, loo roll tubes, branches, sheets of kitchen roll to shred etc and you could start at stage one handling again and try and tame him. (see Taming tips in the WIKI)
His behaviour, if it has suddenly changed, could indicate something is wrong healthwise and it would be best to try and check him for lumps, bumps, feeding well, weeing & pooing, weight loss, etc. He could have something making him feel uncomfortable and causing restlessness. If you feel anything is amiss you should see a vet.
I hope he settles down soon.

ref84
12-30-2008, 04:11 PM
---

Vectis Hamstery
08-22-2015, 12:54 PM
Please look at the date of threads before posting. Dredging up very old threads is not helpful therefore I have deleted the recent comments and closed this thread.