PDA

View Full Version : Robo Hamster sad after separation

Kerryanne
12-30-2014, 12:31 PM
Hi, can anyone offer me any advice: I have had to separate my 2 Roborovski hamsters today due to continued fighting and one clearly being dominant over the other. I tried everything I could first, bought 2 of everything to try and stop the fighting. One became significantly larger than the other, healthy looking coat etc. The other is really small, scruffy looking and needed a break from being bullied... So I decided to split them.
The thing is, the bigger one seems to be pining for the little one. He's been running round looking for his brother and when he comes out He just sits there. I offered him a little treat and he even turned that down (which is not like him at all)
The little one seems much happier, he spent ages drinking at the water bottle and sat in his own food bowl without being on edge.
How long will he be sad for? Is there anything I can do to cheer him up? :(

souffle
12-30-2014, 12:38 PM
He will settle given time. It usually takes about 10days for them to get used to being alone though the bullied one will settle quicker due to being able to come out of himself. Try and give them plenty individual attention :)

Kerryanne
12-30-2014, 12:44 PM
Thanks so much! I think I just feel like a meanie! Even though I know it's for the best... I've held off for ages thinking they would work it out. The pet shop said I had to buy the pair or they wouldn't sell them to us, as soon as I got them back they started scrapping that's when I had to get 2 of everything but that didn't make much difference as the bigger one just wanted whichever one the little one had despite me playing referee at feeding time!

I've been checking them regularly but I'll wait until they get up properly later :)

Baby Grrr
12-30-2014, 02:56 PM
When I seprated my hamsters they seemed just fine but, I don't see how a could be sad

Thin Lizzy
12-30-2014, 09:29 PM
Whatever you do, don't put them back together. You've already seen an improvement in the little one. He will get better and you'll see a weight gain over time.
The big one will take time to adjust but, he will. He's feeling sorry for himself and he's alone with no one to pick on.
What are their names?
Make a fuss of him!

cypher
12-30-2014, 11:52 PM
I think your little robo is more confused than sad, everything is a bit different & will just take a little getting used to, think of it more like when you first bring a new ham home & they have to adjust to new surroundings. Maybe hide a few of his favourite treats around the cage to distract him & give him something to enjoy.
I'm sure he'll soon be fine.

Kerryanne
12-31-2014, 02:23 AM
Thank you all for replying :)
Their names are: Bernie - the little one and Ernie - the big one.
I think you're right, it probably is more confusion than sadness and yes he does seem like they both did when they were first bought home. I definitely won't be putting them back together!

Thanks again :)

souffle
12-31-2014, 03:54 AM
You must introduce them in the robo section :) We love to see pics :)

Thin Lizzy
12-31-2014, 04:49 AM
Kerryanne, I love the names - Bernie and Ernie!

Kerryanne
01-01-2015, 10:44 AM
Ahh I will if I can get them to stay still for long enough! Ha! :)

racinghamster
01-01-2015, 11:04 AM
Hi Kerryanne, you have done the right thing here. They will be fine alone and you will see their individual characters emerge. The pet shop you got them from should change their policy. Selling pairs to customers seems to be their `sales pitch` these days and it`s not always fair on anyone who may not want or need two separate cages. Hamsters do very well alone and pet shops just tell people it`s better to keep a pair, when the reality is very different. Roborovski`s especially usually always require separating. Not always as some do stay together, but not many.

Enjoy your boys. x

Bbhami
01-02-2015, 09:00 AM
Try to scatter some food from above the cage, my robos are so amazed when food fall down from the 'sky'. They look up and stay frozen for some time, like praising the god of seeds or something.

Bbhami
01-02-2015, 09:02 AM
Hi Kerryanne, you have done the right thing here. They will be fine alone and you will see their individual characters emerge. The pet shop you got them from should change their policy. Selling pairs to customers seems to be their `sales pitch` these days and it`s not always fair on anyone who may not want or need two separate cages. Hamsters do very well alone and pet shops just tell people it`s better to keep a pair, when the reality is very different. Roborovski`s especially usually always require separating. Not always as some do stay together, but not many.

Enjoy your boys. x

Some pet shops even sell mixed genders, i feel bad for the kids who buy them not knowing how fast hamsters multiply. :|