PDA

View Full Version : Empty Hamster Cage...

crazyc4tlady
12-22-2014, 03:22 PM
So, my Syrian hamster Harry passed away unexpectedly yesterday and after fully cleaning her Alaska cage, Boris, my Russian dwarf has moved from his Imac Fantasy into the Alaska (and is loving it by the way).

But now I'm left staring at an empty and lonely looking Imac Fantasy!
My options are to get another hamster, but then I think what kind? Do I really want one?
Or do I sell the cage?
Has anyone else had this issue? Did you get a new hammy or get rid of the cage? :D

WinnieTheHam
12-22-2014, 03:27 PM
I moved my syrian from an imac fantasy to a 4ft tank. I kept the cage but i don't intend on getting another hamster just yet. I kept it incase i saw a hamster in need of a home :)

Im so sorry for your loss :(

Nat
12-22-2014, 03:35 PM
Sorry to hear you've lost your hammy. But I personally couldn't go out shopping knowing I have an unoccupied hamster cage at home without buying a new hammy :D

DrKMcK
12-22-2014, 04:53 PM
I never get rid of my cages and tanks. I know there will be a new resident at some point and I am not about to start buying all new stuff. I just lost Ted E. Bear a week ago, and in his case, I plan to wait a bit before getting another hammy. I got Nutmeg very shortly after I lost Patches, but it doesn't feel right this time. When I lost my Coco, before I ever even knew about Hamster Central, it took 6 months before i could even look at another hammy. I find that it is different for each hammy I lose. Take your time and don't make sudden decisions about cages, hammy stuff, or a new hammy until it feels right to you. It is a very personal, individual decision every single time.

Thin Lizzy
12-22-2014, 09:21 PM
Such sad news about Harry.
Hold onto the cage, you might not feel like getting another hammie just now but, in time you might change your mind

crazyc4tlady
12-22-2014, 11:46 PM
I moved my syrian from an imac fantasy to a 4ft tank. I kept the cage but i don't intend on getting another hamster just yet. I kept it incase i saw a hamster in need of a home :)

Im so sorry for your loss :(
Aw I like this idea, but the cage is pretty bulky and I don't have anywhere to store it :/ but sometimes I see such sad hamsters in Pets at Home, it would be a good reason to keep it.

crazyc4tlady
12-22-2014, 11:47 PM
Sorry to hear you've lost your hammy. But I personally couldn't go out shopping knowing I have an unoccupied hamster cage at home without buying a new hammy :D
Same! Resisting that temptation is hard!
It's like every hamster you see from then becomes 10x cuter :D

crazyc4tlady
12-22-2014, 11:52 PM
I never get rid of my cages and tanks. I know there will be a new resident at some point and I am not about to start buying all new stuff. I just lost Ted E. Bear a week ago, and in his case, I plan to wait a bit before getting another hammy. I got Nutmeg very shortly after I lost Patches, but it doesn't feel right this time. When I lost my Coco, before I ever even knew about Hamster Central, it took 6 months before i could even look at another hammy. I find that it is different for each hammy I lose. Take your time and don't make sudden decisions about cages, hammy stuff, or a new hammy until it feels right to you. It is a very personal, individual decision every single time.
Oh no, sorry to hear about Ted E. Bear :/
I know what you mean, it's taken me ages to collect all this hamster stuff and learn what they like and don't like, I don't want to get rid. But as I said before the cage is so bloody bulky, I can't even put it away somewhere to think about it for a few months.
Thanks for the advice :)

crazyc4tlady
12-22-2014, 11:53 PM
Such sad news about Harry.
Hold onto the cage, you might not feel like getting another hammie just now but, in time you might change your mind
Yeah, I don't wanna rush into things, but I'm definitely not finished with getting Hammies!

POLAR WHITES
12-23-2014, 01:08 AM
I got rid of the cages and still went and got another hamster with new cage, defo keep the cage hamsters care infectious lol

crazyc4tlady
12-23-2014, 01:55 AM
I got rid of the cages and still went and got another hamster with new cage, defo keep the cage hamsters care infectious lol
Oh really haha did you manage to sell the cages or did you just get rid?

dave123791
12-23-2014, 03:12 AM
Do you not have a loft, basement, garage or a shed?? I keep all my "unused" stuff either in the loft or in my part of the garage.

POLAR WHITES
12-23-2014, 04:10 AM
I sold them then wished I hadn't lol

crazyc4tlady
12-23-2014, 04:30 AM
Do you not have a loft, basement, garage or a shed?? I keep all my "unused" stuff either in the loft or in my part of the garage.

Tbh no one has ever been in the loft in my house, but no I don't have anywhere else.

crazyc4tlady
12-23-2014, 04:30 AM
I sold them then wished I hadn't lol

This is exactly what I don't want to do! :D

Thin Lizzy
12-24-2014, 04:40 AM
Yeah, I don't wanna rush into things, but I'm definitely not finished with getting Hammies!
That's great to hear!
For now focus on Boris and giving him a great Christmas!
Please make time to enjoy the day also.

DanniDorrito
12-24-2014, 04:45 AM
You will find a lot of hammies will be given up for adoption after christmas as unwanted christmas presents. If you are considering another hamster you could always give one a second chance for a good home :)

crazyc4tlady
12-24-2014, 01:01 PM
You will find a lot of hammies will be given up for adoption after christmas as unwanted christmas presents. If you are considering another hamster you could always give one a second chance for a good home :)
God, I was thinking about this earlier! I was out shopping earlier and I saw a few people buying hamsters for their overly young children, I'll definitely keep this in mind :)