PDA

View Full Version : Ball escaping

Skyblue2001
12-02-2014, 05:22 AM
I have 4 exercise balls, so that they can run around for the allotted time of 30 min. But they tend to bang against the walls and furniture till the lids gets pop off,then they escape and run loose in the apartment(I sealed up all holes in the walls to be sure)i am thinking of taping the lids to the balls would that be a good idea?

Willow Wisp
12-02-2014, 05:36 AM
I think that's what happens to a lot of people :) And yes they just put a little bit of sticky tape onto the edge of the lids :)
I don't have this problem because my two Syrians each have large Savic Runners, they are the only exercise balls I've come across where the lids don't pop open :)

DrKMcK
12-02-2014, 06:31 AM
This is definitely something anyone with a hamster who loves their run-about balls is aware of. I've had more than one hammy pop his/her ball open and start to explore the great wide world. Now, when I buy a new ball I crazy glue the center together and let it dry thoroughly before any hamster uses it. Then when hammy goes in the ball I put 2 pieces of tape on either side of the door. This way any vibrations from hammy running around doesn't wiggle the door open. I've not had any hammy escapes from a ball since I started doing this. They do keep us on our toes! :-D

Thin Lizzy
12-02-2014, 08:18 PM
I put cushions and pillows against the doors and furniture, so the hamster ball isn't banging into them and it really works.

Oatmeal_Cupcake
12-05-2014, 03:07 PM
I've had to use tape for the 7 inch balls. One day I decided to upgrade Kit Kat to the 11 inch ball (Lee kritter krawler jumbo) and found that they don't pop open like the smaller ones do. At least the one I've purchased is holding up and haven't had the need for tape.

Of course they still run into things too!

Shannonmcn
12-05-2014, 03:18 PM
I always tape my balls now (lol)

All the hams I've had have been able to open the lid easily. I've never had a problem with them breaking open at the midsection though.

Thin Lizzy
12-05-2014, 09:45 PM
I use masking tape on the balls.

NiceCrocs
12-05-2014, 09:49 PM
Yeah, a little strip if scotch tape will do the trick with no problem :) Margo once escaped from her ball and nearly gave me a heart attack. I looked away for less than 30 seconds and when I looked back, she had vanished with no trace! It only took me a few minutes to find her though, she had scurried behind my tv cabinet, the brat :)