PDA

View Full Version : Chinese Dwarf Hamster Fighting

Vellas
11-29-2014, 07:05 PM
Hello!
So, about 4 days ago I bought two female chinese chinese dwarfs aged two months. They were from the same litter.
I always saw them cuddling and sleeping neste acho other, however, today I caught them fightning three times.
I saw a couple of vídeos of hamsters fightning on YouTube, and I must say, My girls do not fight as violent as that. I ser them maninho the other roll on their belly and sniff their stomach and sometimes nibble. Them never scream ir squeak.
I wanted to know if I should separate them.. However, I spent all my money on the best cage I could afford, and I'm not sure I'll be able to buy another one..

cypher
11-30-2014, 03:38 AM
Hi Vellas welcome to HC
I'm sorry to say that your girls will continue to fight, Chinese do need to be kept separately & the fighting will only get worse until one is badly hurt or even killed so I hope you can manage to get another cage.

ETA I'm sure you won't want to part with one of them but if you really can't house both separately you might consider returning one to the shop, a last resort maybe but at least they would both be safe that way.

SinNyx
11-30-2014, 03:43 AM
I have to agree with cypher here.

Chinese hamsters are mostly solitary. They are usually sold together because pet shops make the mistake of thinking they are dwarf hamsters when in fact they are not.

You will need to separate them. A fight can end in death. Even if it's only a small fight it can turn within seconds, even when you are not around to stop it. It's not worth the risk of keeping them together.

Have a look on local classified sites for a cheaper cage.

kittokitty
11-30-2014, 04:09 AM
Yeah, my Chinese hamsters fought alot and I only fond out that they were solitary after one died. If you can't afford a cage you can always make a bin cage :)

kyrilliondaemon
11-30-2014, 12:43 PM
I'd definetly arrange to get another cage ready - even if its just an empty storage tub with the lid left off. In the meantime to reduce fighting you could try and remove things from the cage, taking out all the toys, wheels e.t.c can help sometimes :)
Are you sure its fighting and not just playing?
If blood is drawn separate asap, fights can get really nasty really quick if you ignore the warning of blood being drawn

Thin Lizzy
11-30-2014, 07:53 PM
Hi vellas welcome to the forum,
Such a shame your female chinese hams are fighting and I think deep down that you have to seperate them asap. But the last thing you want to happen is them drawing blood.