PDA

View Full Version : Climbing Hammy

RachelandRalph
11-23-2014, 03:19 PM
I just got a new syrian hamster today, i love him so much already! But tonight he has been climbing up his cage bars pretty much non stop! I dont know i this is normal but im not sure if hes bored? He has a huge cage with levels, toys, chews, wheel, hideouts, but is insistent on clombing up the bars in one certain corner. Can someone help? I dont know what to do and also i dont really want to disturb him as he only got here today?

gifinim
11-24-2014, 05:17 PM
He's probably just exploring his new environment. As long as there's no chance of him getting out just let him climb, he'll settle down once he's found all the places he can get to.

cypher
11-25-2014, 01:29 AM
Climbing is quite normal & nothing to worry about but try to make sure he has a soft landing! No hard surfaces where he might fall.
If it's one specific place you could try putting a hammock or hanging toy there to distract him & make it safer.

POLAR WHITES
11-25-2014, 03:55 AM
hope he has settled down a bit now, when you first get the hamsters home they get so excited they don't know what to do, so it is probably that, if you find he is a climber the use of hammocks can be great as they like to cuddle up in them and it safes a nasty fall, best of luck with him, looking forward to pictures

LadyPikachu
11-25-2014, 04:03 AM
Pikachu my syrian did that when I got him which was a week ago today, he only does it now when he fancies getting on his platform another way to using his ladder. I think they just like to explore and sniff the room! :D

GeneralBloodbath
11-25-2014, 04:19 AM
Pyro did exactly the same thing when I brought him home! He liked to climb up the sides of the cage, then tried to go sideways - I like to think that he learns from his mistakes - he doesn't do it much now.

Agreed with the soft landing, Pyro has only fallen a little, but he's been fine - it was funny when it went up the side and then did monkey bars across the top :D

Rawrasaurus
11-26-2014, 06:06 PM
Akbar does the same. Scared me a lot when he first started to do it.

4Taylor20
11-26-2014, 09:04 PM
hammies love climbing! my syrian has climbed non stop since day one, i put a lot of bedding in it because hes clumsy so when he does tumble he has a nice cushy landing. Not to worry new mommy/ daddy.

lorrapaw
12-02-2014, 04:07 PM
ted is 9 months old and still likes to climb. But hes getting really big so he struggles more lol.

Thin Lizzy
12-02-2014, 08:03 PM
He's exploring, twinkle does it, so it's nothing to worry about!
They like being nosey and also to leave their smell.