PDA

View Full Version : Hamster Hiccups?

Bec
11-23-2014, 08:46 AM
Recently noticed Neptune doing hiccup movements if that makes sense......it looks like he is hiccuping but no noise, no sneezing...he's generally okay, so not that concerned about him.....just thought I would post to see whether anyone else's hamster does this?

ham888
11-23-2014, 10:16 AM
I think I know what you mean and if so, some of the Syrian hams I've had do the same occasionally, sometimes making a short pip noise. I never managed to get one on camera.

Skeever
11-23-2014, 10:20 AM
If they do it while eating, chances are they are eating too fast. Pook does it sometimes, and sometimes even when not eating. I'm guessing it is a hiccup of sorts, cause it dies down and stops. I've heard some hams do it, and its normal for them, like ham88 said, some of them do it. Zig does it rarely which makes me think its hiccups pure and simple, from eating, drinking and the like. It's reported often and no one has indicated it's anything to worry about ;)

Bec
11-23-2014, 10:36 AM
Thank you ham888 and Skeever....the few times I have managed to see Neptune having "little hiccups" he is usually nibbling on something! And it only seems to last a short time.....think he's just eating too fast like you said!

He's a big hamster too.....314g!!! Chunky boy!!!

Thanks again for the comments was interested in seeing whether any others did this....Neptune is a little character and does some amusing things including having a wash whilst lying on his back....but that's a different thread lol :mad:

Thin Lizzy
11-24-2014, 08:00 PM
Little Twinkle had the hiccups recently and every time she hiccuped, I copied her and she stuck her little head out of her coconut hut - so cute and funny!

DrKMcK
11-30-2014, 02:55 PM
I've never seen it with my hams. A hamster with hiccups would have me hysterical laughing. :-)

Skeever
11-30-2014, 03:13 PM
Maybe they're learning to twerk? Do you know if they have access to YouTube? :shock: