PDA

View Full Version : Feeding info

cringer
11-28-2008, 12:52 PM
How much veg & fruit should be added into my syrian hamsters diet? I feed him hamster muesli as his everyday food.

I've noticed that his poop is very wet and smelly - is this normal or is it a result of too much veg/fruit? (i give it every day)

thanks

souffle
11-28-2008, 01:02 PM
How long have you had him Cringer? The poo should not be wet and smelly. Stop feeding any fruit and veg immediatly and stick to dry only to see if it settles. Young hamsters in new homes are very prone to wet tail and this can be fatal. You should see a vet as soon as possible. If his tum settles you can try one pinky nail sized piece of fruit or veg maybe twice a week to see how he responds. Too much can give the runs and certain type also.
You can get ProC probiotic from petsat home which will help settle his tum if he seems to improve after stopping veg. Make sure he has no rotten veg in his store and keep the cage very clean for now.

cringer
11-28-2008, 01:28 PM
I've only had him 10 days and his poo is always moist but not sloppy :? and it pongs like smelly feet but to be fair i've been feeding him veg & fruit every day so ill stop and keep him on the dry stuff only and see what happens.

What is wet tail by the way??

Thanks

souffle
11-28-2008, 01:46 PM
Wet tail is a very serious disease caused by a bacteria which infects the bowel. It causes the bowel to really just give up working and the hamster cannot digest food. It has a very distinctive odour and to be honest I don't like the sound of your little guys tummy. Is he still active and bright eyed or does he seem to be walking sort of hunched up and miserable. Wet tail usually gives messy diaorrheoa all over the underside. The ham cannot control this or has the energy to clean itself. Stress on moving o a new home can bring it on as young hamsters have immature systems.

Look here for more info: http://www.hamstercentral.com/wiki/Wet_ ... ve_Ileitis (http://www.hamstercentral.com/wiki/Wet_Tail_-_Proliferative_Ileitis)

I hope it is just too much veg and fruit and he is well soon.
He is young and needs time to settle and tame. If he gets worse he must see a vet. P@H often have 7 day surgeries in their stores if you need one quick.

cringer
11-28-2008, 02:42 PM
I hope it's not serious then, he is scampering about and seems full of energy, ill cut out the non dry food and hopefully he will get back to the non smelly hard poo's!!!

Is it ok to cut the veg/fruit out alltogether?

souffle
11-28-2008, 04:59 PM
Yes it is fine to feed only dry food for now. You should not restart fresh till he is back to solid poos for a week or so and then only a tiny bit at a time. If that keeps him settled you can gradually increase it to daily but only in small amounts and very gradually so as not to upset his tum :D

bigdog999
03-04-2009, 05:05 PM
I'm no expert, but in the past I've learned that fruit and vegetables should be fed rarely. I've lost hamsters in the past due to wet tail and actually had a few blow out the rectums.