PDA

View Full Version : Hamster is grumy and has started to bite me.

Bethqueenofdarkness
11-17-2014, 11:04 AM
Please can someone help.
my Hamster, Professor Mogwai Ping-pong, will be 2 in February 2015 .
Over the last 2 weeks he has started to make a horrible growling noise, whenever I try and get him out in his ball. and then he will try and bite me.

He has never done this before and normally really happy to see me. I haven't changed anything or the way I do things. In the past I have had a few hamsters but nothing like this!

Could he be going senile ? I have looked in my Hamster Lopardia and it has no reference to it.

Please can someone help.

Skeever
11-21-2014, 07:21 PM
Hamsters get very private and nasty tempered if they are ill or in pain quite often. Simply because instinct says that in the wild, the weakest and sick are left to fend for themselves...even though they are solitary theres no doubt some instinct from raising pups as well, that cause a mother to cull her litter rather than have them be a liability....

So they don't show their weakness or pain? They suddenly make you keep a distance so you don't know there's something wrong. You may want to get him to a vet for a thorough checkup if he is really being aggressive with you? I haven't heard of senility in hams, but that doesn't mean it can't happen. Like any living thing, the body wears down, and that would include circulation, the brain, the nervous system etc....so a doctors visit may do a lot to fill you in on what might be happening....keep us posted :)

Thin Lizzy
11-21-2014, 07:51 PM
Because he's never behaved like that before, then like skeever I would get him to a vet just to be sure, my older hammies was acting a bit strange and turned out he had underskin mites, so it' s always best to seek a professional. Keep me informed. Hope everything turns out OK.

Skeever
11-21-2014, 07:59 PM
:shock: Underskin mites? Just one more thing I would never have guessed on my own! And which would definitely make me realllly grumpy if I were a hamster....