PDA

View Full Version : How do you know when a fight is a problem?

ade
11-16-2014, 09:06 AM
How do you know when there is a real problem between two robo hamsters?

I think it's inevitable that they are gonna have a little squabble every now and then, that's just nature. My two randomly had a squabble yesterday over food (I'm scatter feeding), I think they found the last sunflower seed! But then they happily went a slept together in one of their huts despite the fact there is loads of other places, so they could go their separate ways. To me this says there isn't a real issue as surely one would try and avoid the other?

Skeever
11-16-2014, 09:16 AM
I would keep a close eye. Problem is they don't necessarily avoid each other...they can fight, sleep together, then fight to the death...

So a close eye is wise, the only clues might be the duration of the squabble.....like a fast shrieking, scuffle and that's it. Over and done with? Is one ham showing dominance in the cage, or behaving more territorial? If it were me, I think a second fight would give me enough cause to separate them...better safe than sorry. They mainly fight at night as well, so we may miss a few rounds ;)

Once one of them has drawn blood, thats the proverbial red line to separate immediately. I know its hard to figure out if they are romping and playing or its getting serious....keep us posted :)

POLAR WHITES
11-16-2014, 11:39 AM
normal chasing and play fighting is ok even an occasional squeak is fine, time to worry is it any blood is drawn or if you see real bullying,

ade
11-18-2014, 04:38 PM
I have now separated them because the fights seemed to get longer.

Quite annoying that I have had to split my nice big cage into two!

Shannonmcn
11-18-2014, 06:02 PM
That's pretty inconvenient ade but at least now you don't have to worry :)

Skeever
11-18-2014, 07:19 PM
Wise move, Ade :)