PDA

View Full Version : Inquisitive biter

ade
11-11-2014, 02:00 PM
Hi all,

My 2 robos have settled in really well, one is still a little skittish when it comes to people walking by the cage but I'm sure he'll adjust soon.

My question is this: I'm trying to get them used to me and not be bothered by my hand being in the cage. Both hamsters will take food from me and even sit on my palm while eating it. If I put only my hand in i.e no food,they will come and sniff but then try to test if my finger is food. They are not biting because they are threatened. I genuinely believe they're just being inquisitive and seeing if I am indeed food.

Since I am not food, what is the best thing to do when they have a little nibble. I've ensured I've not pulled my hand out really quick so I don't startle them but what could I do that tells them I'm not food?

Skeever
11-11-2014, 02:08 PM
When the nibble, I just move the finger a bit. Hint, hint....ham breath, most of your food is not alive like this finger? :p Curious nibbling is something some hams do when young, they grow out of it usually.....

lizzie45
11-11-2014, 03:29 PM
Another tip I found is to make sure you wash your hands before going into the cage to ensure you dont smell of food. I also found rubbing my hands with a little olive oil prevents nibbling as they dont like the taste, hope that helps :)

lizzie45
11-11-2014, 03:31 PM
Olive oil is also very good for your skin,lol x

cypher
11-12-2014, 02:28 AM
I generally find they soon learn that fingers aren't food & as Skeever says they should grow out of it, you're doing the right thing by not moving your hand quickly. As they've got older mine have been more inclined to give me a little lick when they're just checking which is just so sweet lol!