PDA

View Full Version : New Syrian

itswendy
11-10-2014, 12:53 AM
my hamster is terrified of me and im also terrified of her too (which doesnt really work out well >_>) because the few times i've kept my hand close to her, she's bitten really hard and it drew blood 2 of 3 times. i have no idea how to tame her because i don't want to get bitten. she's also still super jumpy. How can i tame her without her biting me? I've tried gloves but I'm not sure if it's working at all since she won't be able to smell me through the gloves.
And also.. can syrians that are super skittish and bitey at first become cuddly when tamed?

cypher
11-10-2014, 01:01 AM
I've got a kind of list here that I've posted before so I'll just copy the whole thing, hope it helps with your problem, some of it may not be relevant but hopefully some will!

Basic taming/getting to know your hamster tips

I always begin with the scented tissue trick, put a tissue or toilet paper up your sleeve or somewhere it will get your scent, leave it for a few hours & then put it in the cage. keep doing this every day until they are more familiar with you. I actually do this before I even bring a ham home so the cage already has my scent from the start.

For the first day or two just talk to your hamster quietly, don't try to handle or pick them up, just let them settle, allow them to get used to you being around without feeling you're a threat to them.

Try to avoid tubes in the cage, as well as possibly being unhygienic if they sleep in them it can be very hard to get them out if they're scared & it will only stress them out more if you have to struggle to get to them.

Once your ham is getting used to you being around put your hand by the open door & allow them to approach you.
You can try offering a treat such as a sunflower seed or mealworm first in your finger tips & then on the palm of your hand.

If your cage allows it always approach from the front rather from above as this will be a lot less frightening for them.

If they bite try very hard not to react, just continue doing what you were doing so they don't feel they are getting a reward for biting.

To begin with if they don't climb into your hand you can get them out of the cage using a ball, small cardboard box or tube & use that to carry them to a plastic bin or playpen. Put some substrate from the cage with their scent on & maybe a small house in the bin so they feel safer & then try picking them up or just offering your hand to them in there.
I find some hams can be more scared out of the cage but a lot of people find this the best way for taming. Some people use the bath in a similar way, I don't have a bath so I haven't tried it!

Always try to tame your ham at their own pace, don't try to rush them or be disappointed if it doesn't quite go to plan, they are all different so be patient & just enjoy the process!

Some useful links are
Erin's taming diaries
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ttUYlBSVS4&list=PLdeNpGX3yFqHO8qdzW1YsRErdRJXghyug

and for more difficult hamsters sparkle's last chance
http://www.hamstercentral.com/community/behaviour/51371-sparkles-last-chance.html

Scampi16
11-10-2014, 02:21 AM
I have had super skittish Syrians before, and they have all tamed with time and the majority then become very loving hamsters and actively ask to come out of their cage for a play, letting me pick them up if a top opening cage or dive out of the cage if a front opening cage. If you are scared of being bit when getting her out of the cage try letting her climb into a tube, cup or hamster ball from the cage.
You could if you are worried she may not get used to your scent is to have a tissue on your person for a while to grab you scent then put it into her cage.
Sit outside her cage and talk to her for her to get used to your voice and you being around.
Bribbery with food/treats normally goes down a treat too.

itswendy
11-10-2014, 06:16 AM
If i put my bare hands in the cage she'll cautiously go up to it, sniff it one or two times and then chomp down. If i offer treats in my hand everytime i put my hand in, won't she be expecting it everytime? And will she think my fingers are food because of this? I've been feeding her veggies and sunflower seeds through my fingers but im too afraid to put it on the palm of my hand.

cypher
11-10-2014, 09:05 AM
Try using the gloves when you put your hand in the cage for a while, that way she gets no reward & you don't get hurt, if you can get her used to your hand without food so much the better but treats some of the time is good too. If you do the tissue thing she will be used to your scent so you shouldn't need to worry about that.
Does she only bite when she's in the cage? If so it may be cage aggression which, provided her cage is big enough she'll probably get over once she gets used to you & you can try handling her out of the cage using a tube/ball or something similar to get her out.

Thin Lizzy
11-10-2014, 08:17 PM
Hi Wendy, my 3 month syrian Twinkle was exactly the same, the bites also drew blood and very painful, I convinced myself that she hated me but I don't give up easily.I would put my hands in her cage and rub her wood shavings on my hands and it really worked. She's just a bit shy and in time that will change. Cypher has listed some great advice but when mine drew blood, I had to take my hand out cause blood was dripping into her cage. Good Luck xx

itswendy
11-10-2014, 08:52 PM
She is in a 105 qt bin and ill try the handling her outside the cage. omg Twinkle is such a cute name!! How long did it take Twinkle to get used to you?

itswendy
11-11-2014, 12:28 AM
Now she's almost calm when I'm holding her with a glove on but as soon as I offer her my other bare hand to walk on she starts nipping me :(. I'm not sure if they're actually real bites because I've just moved my bare hand out of her reach barely before she can bite down harder.

cypher
11-11-2014, 12:41 AM
Take it slowly, use the gloves for a bit longer before offering her a bare hand to bite on!

Thin Lizzy
11-11-2014, 01:00 AM
She is in a 105 qt bin and ill try the handling her outside the cage. omg Twinkle is such a cute name!! How long did it take Twinkle to get used to you?
Hi Wendy, twinkle's use to me now, but she can be a wee diva and sometimes she will wriggle when picked up but other times she's fine. But, she hasn't bitten me in 4 weeks and that's rubbing my hands on her wood shavings and softly talking to her and giving her lots of treats. Twinkle's been the hardest to get to know but, we'll worth it. That'll be you with yours soon! What have you names yours?

itswendy
11-11-2014, 03:48 PM
Hi Wendy, twinkle's use to me now, but she can be a wee diva and sometimes she will wriggle when picked up but other times she's fine. But, she hasn't bitten me in 4 weeks and that's rubbing my hands on her wood shavings and softly talking to her and giving her lots of treats. Twinkle's been the hardest to get to know but, we'll worth it. That'll be you with yours soon! What have you names yours?

her name is honey, she's a solid cream color ((:

itswendy
11-11-2014, 03:58 PM
Take it slowly, use the gloves for a bit longer before offering her a bare hand to bite on!

okay! ill keep trying with the gloves.

Thin Lizzy
11-12-2014, 09:12 AM
Honey is a gorgeous name! I was going to call Twinkle that when I first got her, I had also had Fudge in mind for a name.

Thin Lizzy
11-12-2014, 09:27 AM
If i put my bare hands in the cage she'll cautiously go up to it, sniff it one or two times and then chomp down. If i offer treats in my hand everytime i put my hand in, won't she be expecting it everytime? And will she think my fingers are food because of this? I've been feeding her veggies and sunflower seeds through my fingers but im too afraid to put it on the palm of my hand.
Hi Wendy, when I was getting to know Twinkle, I was a bit concerned about the number of treats she was getting and I decided to make them smaller. The glove thing is a good idea, maybe honey when u put your ungloved hand in finds it a bit cold. U could try using gloves on both hands, then put one of your gloved hands in and when it comes to the other gloved hand remove the glove and place it bare near her. Rub the gloves with Honey's wood shavings for her scent. Good luck!

itswendy
11-12-2014, 11:17 PM
Hi Wendy, when I was getting to know Twinkle, I was a bit concerned about the number of treats she was getting and I decided to make them smaller. The glove thing is a good idea, maybe honey when u put your ungloved hand in finds it a bit cold. U could try using gloves on both hands, then put one of your gloved hands in and when it comes to the other gloved hand remove the glove and place it bare near her. Rub the gloves with Honey's wood shavings for her scent. Good luck!

thank you! I will try that :)