PDA

View Full Version : Lethargic Hamster

Ccg
11-09-2014, 03:08 AM
I'm not sure if this should go under Healthcare or Behavior, so I'll just roll with it.

Last week I was looking after a dog. He's an Golden Retriever and he's quite old. My hamster has a Mamble 100 cage, the dog has seen the cage before, sniffs at it, then lies down and ignores it. It's never appeared to bother my hamster in the past.

A week ago at midnight I noticed I hadn't heard my hamster move around, I turned my lights on dim and got up to check on him. He was in one of his tubes (not a rat tube) with his eyes shut, not moving. I tapped on the tube gently to see if he was alive, his eyes opened a little, but nothing more. I decided to leave him and went to bed for an hour before waking up and still not hearing him. I checked on him and he was the same so I decided to pull him out and check him over. I took the tube apart (I promise I was gentle) and looked him over. He normally enjoys being taken out of his cage and will even let you gently turn him over to check his tummy, but after a few seconds he wriggles to get back on his front. When I turned him over on this occasion he just laid there, not moving. He was also refusing to eat. I decided there was nothing I could do, as much as I love the little guy it's not practical to get a vet out in the middle of the night for him, so I put him in his cage and watched him wander into his house.

The following morning, I got up and carefully took him out of his house, as he woke up he was back to his old self, eating, running around, doing what hamsters do.

He's been fine since so I've no idea if he was just a little sick or if he was maybe in shock from the dog? Just curious as to whether anyone has any thoughts.

kyrilliondaemon
11-11-2014, 09:14 AM
I'm not sure what it was but if hes been fine since I'd not worry. He might've just been tired :)