PDA

View Full Version : Help! Robos Fighting :-(

HamsterLady
11-09-2014, 12:51 AM
Hi, long time no post. Please only reply if you've actually had robos, general knowledge is available via google thanks.

I've had 3 robos together sucessfully for about a year. I've noticed before that they're a two and a one, but tonight is the first time I've seen them proper fight. I caught one in a ball to take him away for a bit and when I put him back they fought right away again. One was bullying the other again, proper laying into him despite the poor bullied guy laying on his back in submission.

Do I separate now or wait for blood? I have a 5ft Ikea hack tank, it'd be a shame to split it but I could.

cypher
11-09-2014, 01:05 AM
Separate them now before it's too late & one or more gets seriously hurt.

souffle
11-09-2014, 06:03 AM
I'd separate them as it does sound like one is being severely stressed by the situation in the cage. Could you split the tank with a glass divider?

HamsterLady
11-09-2014, 07:53 AM
I could but it would be really sad to split them up over a one-off after they've lived together successfully for so long :-( Any idea why this suddenly started?

cypher
11-09-2014, 08:25 AM
It could be any number of reasons, it does seem to just suddenly occur, who knows what goes on in hamster heads, but once it's started I doubt they'll go back to how they were, even if they cuddle up to sleep & look the best of friends they'll most likely continue to fight & be happier if you split them up.

NiceCrocs
11-09-2014, 09:32 AM
I agree that they should be separated. Generally it's not advisable to keep trios, as two will tend to sort of band together against the third, unfortunately.

Fighting can happen for almost any reason, and often for no reason at all! But once it starts, it doesn't tend to stop. If you wait for blood to be drawn it might be too late, and one or more could wind up very seriously injured, or worse.

SinNyx
11-09-2014, 09:43 AM
The thing you have to think about is that it's not sad for them. Hamsters usually do better alone and it's better than taking a risk and waking up to something you will regret. Hamsters don't need to live with others, they don't feel lonely and want a friend, it's a human emotion forcing it on them.

Most likely the more dominant one is going to continue picking on the other, and even the third may join in and see that hamster as a weakness. Unlike in the wild, they don;t have anywhere to run off to or escape too, so it happens. Separation is best.

HamsterLady
11-09-2014, 11:03 AM
Holy c**** it wouldn't have EATEN the one it was picking on would it?!?!?!? I can only find two and the bully is being aggressive and has full cheek pouches. Seriously? I've never heard of this in all my years of having hamsters :-( Am going to do a deep clean/search of the tank now but no body or even a carcass so far :-( Am so upset! Was about to separate the cage :-( I was told by a robo breeder that three was fine by the way and they have been for a year!

SinNyx
11-09-2014, 11:07 AM
Hamsters can and will eat each other unfortunately. If another is ill or dies it's their instinct to clean it away to prevent predators coming, and it can often happen after fights.

I hope you do find your little hamster. To be honest, it's unusual for something to escalate that quickly.

HamsterLady
11-09-2014, 11:17 AM
Just found parts of the skeleton. Am absolutely gutted. I was told three was fine by the way, and it was for about a year :-( Having to separate the remaining two now as the remaining one has gone mental and his "friend" looked frazzled (in a ball at the moment). Grrr nasty little hamster bully!!

HamsterLady
11-09-2014, 11:18 AM
I'm glad you said that SinNyx as I'm kicking myself for not separating them last night now. I didn't think it'd end like this obviously.

NiceCrocs
11-09-2014, 11:20 AM
Oh my gosh, I am so so sorry :(