PDA

View Full Version : Meet Daisy!

Ann
10-04-2014, 07:20 PM
My youngest daughter just got her first WW hybrid today after about a month of begging. I've never had a hamster before (my husband has) so I've been doing a lot of reading and research to get everything ready. Hopefully Daisy will like her new home. :)

dusty01
10-04-2014, 09:15 PM
Awww, it sounds like she will have a great life. Can't wait to see pics of the little ones setup. :)

cypher
10-05-2014, 01:07 AM
She's totally gorgeous! I'm sure she'll be happy in her new home :D

XRubyRoseX
10-05-2014, 02:03 AM
Oh my god she's lovely! My two boys also agree ;) :lol:
Can't wait to see more pictures of her! :D

SinNyx
10-05-2014, 02:04 AM
Daisy is gorgeous, I'm sure you will find all of the information you need on the forum!

Looking forward to more pictures :)

amie
10-05-2014, 04:49 AM
Daisy is lovely. She is starting to go quite white in the face.

Hope Daisy is settling in well.

kyrilliondaemon
10-05-2014, 05:31 AM
Shes adorable :)

HamsterCrazy2013
10-05-2014, 05:46 AM
Aww she is very cute. I'm sure she will like her new home. :)

Ann
10-05-2014, 07:33 AM
Thanks! She's been fun to watch. I didn't get to see this since I was busy at the time, but my husband said she loves the sand bath. He said she got in it and just rolled all over the place. I think we are going to switch to aspen bedding. For now, we just got some cheap toilet paper and shredded it, but I just don't like it. Since the cage is a storage bin, everything seems to just slide around. I'll give her a few more days to settle in and then switch out the bedding. I'll probably still leave some toilet paper in there, though. She seems to like it. Anyway, here's her set up. There are 2 hides, one under each shelf, but right now she seems to prefer staying under the ramp. And I think I'm going to have my husband make one more ramp. I don't like that little bridge being the only way to get on that one shelf. So, I guess we still have a few things we need to tweak, but we'll get there.

Ann
10-05-2014, 10:23 AM
Here's a couple more pictures of her eating. I love how she holds her food with her little paws. :)

cypher
10-06-2014, 01:16 AM
Aww sweet photos, I love to see them hold things in their little hands too. :D
You may find when you have some more substantial bedding she won't need another ramp & will probably be able to climb up without one, I imagine that's quite hard for her while you just have the tissue in there.
Are you going to add more toys? I think a few simple things even like a little cardboard box or egg box for her to explore & maybe to hide the odd treat in would be nice for her, I know mine love that. :D

Artisans_uk
10-06-2014, 03:41 AM
Aww sweet photos, I love to see them hold things in their little hands too. :D
You may find when you have some more substantial bedding she won't need another ramp & will probably be able to climb up without one, I imagine that's quite hard for her while you just have the tissue in there.
Are you going to add more toys? I think a few simple things even like a little cardboard box or egg box for her to explore & maybe to hide the odd treat in would be nice for her, I know mine love that. :D

Ann - She's so pretty, I love the lighter colouring on her face and around her ears.

Cypher, tell me about it! My hearts melts daily when I see mine sitting on their haunches while their little front paws hold whatever it is they are munching on so eagerly, I could watch them all day or for at least as long as they are eating!

I gave Bracken an eggbox for the first time last week; I cut two holes in opposite ends for her to pop in and out. She has taken it to very enthusiatically, chewing on the "pillars" which are there to separate the eggs, just so it suits her, not enough for them to disappear totally. She has taken in some bedding and I often find that she is in the box rather than her little house. It's a firm favourite for sure. I drop the occasional treat in for her to find.

Ann, I'm sure that Aspen, woodshavings, carefresh or similar will certainly make it easier for Daisy, providing a firm base and some depth, she'll enjoying tunneling through whatever you use as well, providing some extra fun for her.

Ann
10-07-2014, 11:45 AM
Well, we went ahead switched to the aspen bedding last night. Everything seems much sturdier now and she seems happier. We are going to add some more toys and I like the idea of an egg carton. I have one that we just finished, so I think I might put that in there. What kinds of treats could I use? I think I read that broccoli is ok to give them, is that right? I only have frozen broccoli. Could I just let a piece thaw out and give it to her or does it need to be fresh? We also have mealworms that we give to our geckos occasionally, however, they're live and not freeze dried. Is that ok? Any other suggestions? :)

SocksnPheobe
10-07-2014, 07:15 PM
She is gorgeous! Congrats on your new family member:)

cypher
10-07-2014, 10:55 PM
Defrosted broccoli is fine to use Ann, you can also give things like lettuce, cucumber, red pepper, dandelion & clover leaves, all in small amounts to begin with until she gets used to eating them. If you look in the Wiki section, top left of the page you'll find a list of veg, just don't give fruit or anything high in sugar.
I don't advise giving live mealworms they can actually bite & hurt your ham!
Pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, kitten kibble & dog biscuits (again no sugar & check there's no onion or garlic in them first). That's all I can think of off the top of my head right now, my brain's not in gear yet!