PDA

View Full Version : How tame is tame?!

danielle
10-30-2008, 04:07 PM
I've been reading through all the threads on hamster taming and I was just wondering exactly how tame can hamsters become?! Haffertee is a pet shop hamster and I've had him for about 4 weeks and he likes to be handfed and stroked and mostly doesn't mind being picked up. However, he gets a bit manic when he's been out of his cage for a while- will this always happen? How tame are your tamest hamsters?! 8)

leafpool14
10-30-2008, 04:24 PM
Hi

When you say that he gets 'manic' does he start hissing or squeaking

I'd have to say that my most tamest hamster was Kimmi, she was amazing!

After 5 hours from getting her from P@H, I managed to pick her up and handle her, I haven't got 1 single bite from her. It's very unusual because she was always a little nervous and unsure, but her inquisitive nature balanced it out :D

She was always very active to keep hold of, but as soon as I started walking around, she would sit still in my hands and enjoy the ride :P

Kimmi would start squealing and screaming if you talked to her really loudly, like if you shouted downstairs to your mum when Kimmi was 2 meters away. At least she didn't suffer from deafness :wink:

happysaz133
10-30-2008, 05:11 PM
Well Jasper has never bitten me, and I have never known him to get nervous or agitated when he's out of his cage. The longest he's spent out is about an hour, I only put him back because I had to go to bed, but I'm sure he's be happy to be out longer. He's happy to be picked up and held by anyone, although he does sometimes get a little nervous when the cats are around (but I think he's justified there LOL). :D

I have heard of hamsters even going to sleep in peoples hands. Jasper doesn't do that, he's far to busy wanting to explore!

souffle
11-03-2008, 07:00 AM
It depends what you mean by tame. If you mean sitting still and cuddling on your chest then I would say that most hammies particularly young ones don't really do that much. When they are out they are normally keen to zip around and investigate everything. Older hammies often enjoy being petted and stroked.
I would say a hammy is tame when you can take them happily from their cage, they actively come out to see you when you are near and they are happy being picked up, handled and do not bite or nip or run away and hide. It depends on the character and age how placid and quiet they become.

Francescamice
11-20-2008, 03:21 PM
:D
Miya -my gorgeous black dom is very tame. I have handled her since i got her in April this year(she was about 10 weeks old then), I got her home and she settled in her cage very well. I handled her as much as possible in the first week. Now is loves coming out to see me - never cowers, or looks frightened, and she has never nipped or bitten me.
Miya enjoys her daily visits out of her cage, we play together on my bed and sometimes she cuddles up to me and falls to sleep whilst iam cradling her - we have a great bond and trust.
She knows Iam her mummy and I think its lovel when any animal has 100% trust in its owner. I guess iam lucky that Miya is such a placid nature. She has only hissed once and thats when she spooked herself with the shadow of my jumper, but i just talk to her and reassure her, I think talking to your pet makes alot of difference.

I look forward to spending time with Miya, and iam sure she feels the same.

Fran :D