PDA

View Full Version : Hamster Rash

Owner of 3
09-19-2014, 04:08 PM
Whilst cleaning out the hamsters cage this evening i noticed what looked like a rash or a small reddish patch above the shoulder blades of 1 of my hamster.

As my hamsters were previously housed together not sure if this was a result of them fighting or if its a rash.

I am planning on taking him to the vets either tomorrow or on monday

Just thought i would get some advice beforehand

thank you in advance

Skeever
09-19-2014, 04:21 PM
Judging from three posts now, one mentioned squeaking and possible fighting, one mentioned playing /fighting, and now a scratch or cut? I'd opt for caution at this point and separate them. I might hesitate after only one of the above, but? better safe than sorry.

Keep us posted

cypher
09-19-2014, 10:57 PM
You say your hams were previously housed together so do they all have their own cages now, sorry a bit unclear about that!
I'd give them all a good health check & if you see anything to be concerned about get the vet to give them a once over, meanwhile just keep a close eye on them & make sure all the normal things like eating & drinking are OK.

Owner of 3
09-20-2014, 01:41 PM
I don't think its a scratch or cut as there is no blood it just looks a bit red that's why I thought it was a rash

Just to clear things up they are both in their own cage now

they are eating and drinking as normal

Skeever
09-20-2014, 02:55 PM
A scratch doesn't have to bleed. Could be irritated skin from a tussle, or trying to squeeze through something they shouldn't...

Just keep an eye on the red area, though getting an overall checkup at the vet isn't a bad thing either.