PDA

View Full Version : hamster psychology! ellis and wheels

ellisyellis
10-28-2008, 10:07 AM
hiya ellis hates wheels and has never been in one but loves his ball so i have bought him a ball that is on a stand and put it in his cage. bingo!

BUT if i wait till he is using it then swap it for a rodent wheel do you thing he will start using a wheel instead?!? :idea:

my thinking is a wodent wheel is enclosed so he might get the idea slowly? the ball is good but takes up playing room.

what do you think?????? will he or wont he???!!! :?: :?

leafpool14
10-28-2008, 10:16 AM
Hi

Well, you cant really predict Ellis' reaction until you have tried it :P

It must be a bit awkward have a hamster that has a phobia on wheels :lol:

What wheel do you have for Ellis at the moment?

Leafpool :mrgreen:

ellisyellis
10-29-2008, 05:02 AM
he had a silent spinner untill i swapped it for the ball. not remotely interested in it! i thought a wodent wheel would be bettewr because its closed in like a ball??????

leafpool14
10-29-2008, 05:11 AM
Smart thinking!!!

Did you say that Ellis was a dwarf or syrian?

Well, the biggest wheel which should be alright for Ellis is about 6.5"or bigger if you have a big hammy:P

But yeah, try it, what roughly sized wheel do you have now?

Leafpool :mrgreen:

ellisyellis
10-29-2008, 02:44 PM
hiya leafpool ellis is a syrian, he is only a little boy. dont know why he is so small? his silent spinner was 6 1/2 inches i think. am going up in a min 2 see if he is using his ball now its in his cage. :)

leafpool14
10-29-2008, 02:56 PM
hiya leafpool ellis is a syrian, he is only a little boy. dont know why he is so small? his silent spinner was 6 1/2 inches i think. am going up in a min 2 see if he is using his ball now its in his cage. :)

Thats the same size as my silent spinner, and my hamster still fitted in it when she was full grown
Ellis is till young, my hamster was like a dwarf when I first got her, but Ellis will grow, he wont be a midget :lol:

Its still very unusual how he has a phobia on wheels :? Have you tried washing the wheel, there might be something on it that Ellis really disagrees with, but getting a rodent wheel might help because its closed in :)

Leafpool :D

ellisyellis
10-30-2008, 04:46 AM
hiya leafpool ellis was indeed using his ball inside his cage last night when i went to see! im just happy that ive got him using something in his cage so he can burn off some energy. i think he will always be a midget. he is 10 months old now so he will have stopped growing. i think i will get him a wodent wheel for xmas or knowing me probably before! lol :D

leafpool14
10-30-2008, 05:32 AM
At least you know that hes getting the exercise he needs when your asleep at night :D
A Wodent Wheel would make a great present! lets just hope that he uses it. Heres some 'edible' hamster xmas presents

All the hamster christmas prezzies!!! (http://www.petsathome.com/find/category-is-6+small+pets/breed-is-hamster/category-is-6M+Christmas)

ellisyellis
10-30-2008, 11:25 AM
loving the christmas pudding! can see that may be an answer for edgar!