PDA

View Full Version : I want to ask if this is normal.

liam4mail
10-26-2008, 05:46 PM
I should thank my lucky stars for Toby. He is eating all foods and not reacting to any of them. He eats all of his mix so I know he is having a balanced diet. Unfortunately he poos in the same place as he stores food so this I need to keep an eye on. He is not at all nervous. Nothing phases him. I could put a dinosaur in the cage and he would slowly approach it.

Within the cage he has a wooden playbox. When my laptop is sorted and when I have added the second layer to his cage I will show you the mansion in full. Anyway this box was bought on eBay as a hamster box, sealed. It is a lovely thing really. There is a hallway, three chambers (one of which I thought would be a perfect bed and he has turned it into just that!) and a ramp. Underneath the ramp is a hiding place.

The box had a lid but after a number of days I removed it because I thought he would hide inside the box way too much. He now looks out from each chamber at me since I removed the lid. I sometimes think he is playing hide-and-seek with me! He also uses the pieces of wood that seperate the chambers as planks to walk on. So I feel I made the right decision to get rid of the lid.

There was one night, and I describe it as our 'argument'. I took the box up to check on his store. His expression said it all. He was shocked. I then removed the bedding because I wanted to give him new paper. He was in shock again. It was funny in a way as he started to rush the few scraps of bedding that were left into his pouch. Since then he moves all his food from the dish into his store as soon as I give him fresh food.

Is this normal? I feel it is just him. He does not like to be handled. But he takes food from my hand. He never runs away from me when I change water or anything like that. So I cannot say he feels threatened by me and that is why he rushes to stash his food.

One night during the week I checked on the store. He rushed to add it to his pouches. But did not mind me otherwise.

I put him in his playball earlier and cleared the whole cage. I cleaned out the poo, washed the box a little and gave him new paper. I rubbed my hands in the latter before tossing it all over the box (and I can hear him nest-making as I type). I cleared all the Carefresh from the wee corner and anywhere else it could be especially dirty but I did leave a small portion behind and mixed it with the new. I have noticed he (very recently) mixes some Carefresh with his bedding. Is this OK? Maybe it is because the nights are getting colder. Perhaps I should give him a second type of bedding. I give him the Wilkinsons white paper bedding now. I decided against the wool after ami_j said it is reported it blocks hamster pouches. I keep meaning to pick up the bedding that looks like J-Cloth and give him a mixture of the two types.

Fresh food goes straight to the store as well but I am not in much of a panic about it as he seems to have the sense to finish it quickly.

There was so little left in the store tonight. My goodness that guy know how to eat! There was one third of a Bonio left after I gave him a fresh one on Friday. I threw it out because of the poo. He can have a new one some time this week.

So is this just him, something he does, move all food to the store immediately? I cannot really associate this action with the night I caused him to panic because around this time he was only getting the know that box properly. I can get away with doing odd jobs and small clean-ups when he is in the cage but maybe to avoid drama I will leave doing a complete makeover until he is in his playball (which he loves too!) The handling, maybe it will happen in time. If not, as long as he is happy I am.

n_t
10-27-2008, 01:31 AM
i think its perfectly normal that he's storing all his food away, both of my hamsters do that - they just grab as much food as they can then go and store it away somewhere where they can eat it in their own time! i think he's a bit shy, so perhaps you have to encourage him with a lot of treats. my hammy was shy too, when i first got him. he'd jump if i even tried to breathe out whilst trying to hold him. just be patient and soon enough he'll get used to you. there's a taming link somewhere here, use that. just keep on giving him treats and he'll approach you himself. i've made some improvement, my hamster now walks up to me when i open the door of his cage - and i let him know its ok to come close to me by stroking him lightly on his head with a finger, but first i let him smell my hand. i guess it just takes time, but you keep on needing to go at it! good luck and hope this helps. please dont worry about his storing habits, i'd say all hamsters do it so he's a normal hammy :)

liam4mail
10-27-2008, 01:55 AM
n_t he avoids my finger when I go to stroke him yet he is relaxed enough to take treats from my fingers.

Maybe I should get a playpen for him and do some taming sessions in there.

Yes time and patience is the best combination. He is two months today but he is only with me a few weeks now.

zara825
10-27-2008, 09:30 AM
n_t he avoids my finger when I go to stroke him yet he is relaxed enough to take treats from my fingers.

Maybe I should get a playpen for him and do some taming sessions in there.

Yes time and patience is the best combination. He is two months today but he is only with me a few weeks now.

Sounds odd, but try taming him in the bath.
Obviously put the plug in, and get in with him. Pop the bottom of the cage in the bath, and let him come out in his own time.
Make sure your hands are clean, so he wont mistake them for something to eat!
Just start by stroking him, talking softly, and maybe try to scoop him up in your hands, above the cage. He will probably try to jump, but if you are in the bath, he wont escape!

A tip though, dont leave his hideaway in the cage when you do this otherwise he will probably not come out!

I found that if you put them on your lap whilst in the bath, it helps, because they arent always comfortable with the feeling of skin at first.

Be persistent, but dont frighten him, try 10 mins in the evening, always after they have woken up and cleaned themselves up. If he starts to panick at any point, put him back, and try again once he has calmed down.

After each session, give him a treat once you have put him back in the cage.

I tamed my syrian, Cow, in 3 nights using this method, although it really depends on the hamster. It took a further two to get him accostomed to being handled by my fiance without panicking. He has lived with us for 5 weeks now, and is perfectly happy being handled.

I initially tried to use a playpen to tame him in, but he very quickly figured out how to climb out, and this was before he was tamed, so I nearly had an escapee so i really dont recommend it. In the bath, there is no chance of him escaping.

He will eventually come round, like you said, persistence and patience, if he is taking treats, there is a certain amount of trust there already.

Good luck, and if you need any help, just give me shout!

ps, with cow, his initial fear was of actually being picked up and lifted, and sometimes even now, he isnt always 100% relaxed when we get lift him up (downfall of him living in a top opening cage), but normally once he is in our hands, he calms down. Be confident, and he will be.

liam4mail
10-27-2008, 04:27 PM
zara825 thank you for your gorgeous reply.

I live in a shared house so unfortunately the bath is not an option but I will create a similiar environment with an underbed storage box from Wilkinsons. I do need more confidence doing this. I shall let you know how it goes!

leafpool14
10-29-2008, 07:20 PM
Maybe he's avoiding your finger because your trying to stroke him face on. It can be a bit scary having a huge finger approaching you really fast, you've got to remember how small he is compared to your whole body. Put it into Tony's perspective;
your view: Your hand tiny compared to your body
Toby's view: Your hand huge compared to Toby's body

Leafpool :wink:

liam4mail
10-30-2008, 08:14 AM
Nicely put, LOL!

leafpool14
10-30-2008, 08:30 AM
LOL, I've been doing my research :wink: