PDA

View Full Version : Big Problem :( Pregnant Hammy?

n_t
10-25-2008, 11:53 AM
hi guys,

Ok first prepare yourselves because this is a bit long :p

anyway, I have two hamsters, both syrians. One is a male - mink banded shorthair from P@H and he is now...coming on to 9 weeks old. He is extremely tame and shy, and very friendly. No problems whatsoever with him! but the other hamster I just got from my local petshop last wednesday is causing a few problems. the owner of the petshop told me she is 8 weeks old. she is a longhaired silver grey...and she looks awfully big for 8 weeks. about twice the size of the mink banded from P@H. anyway i was happy when i chose her because she was extremely active, glossy coat etc. when i bought her home, i let her settle in for about 2/3 days. I tried to let her smell my hand and she bit a chunk out of my hand the first time round. not a bite, but a chunk. so then i thought...ok she may be feeling a little scared. so i didnt mind, just fed her a treat and blew on her nose lightly. then she bit me FOUR more times, each on separate occasions. now today she bit me again and my finger was bleeding realllllllly badly. she is in a three tier cage and gets all her chews and loads and loads of toys with a loads of different food everyday, so all these things are up to date.
but what i dont get is why does she keep on biting me? and compared to the hamster from P@H - who i had absolutely no trouble handling, very gentle and even though he's really shy, he is an angel...the LH silver grey is a bit on the big side...which makes me think...could she be pregnant? I really cant take any pics...so sorry i dont have a cam at the moment. and my phone's not working so pics out of the question. but having said all this i know there is some kind of problem with the LH silver grey because she is not scared of people walking into my room, she is always out playing and will come up to smell you when you come up to her cage but the moment anything is near her she will act wild and bite everything.
there is no way i want to re-home her, i will try anything :( could someone please give me some advice?

ModularFurball53
10-25-2008, 11:59 AM
I'm not really an expert, but you could check pics of what pregnant hams look like, and check their behaviour online ect and see if she matches any of the symptoms. :)

n_t
10-25-2008, 01:17 PM
i'm really worried now...because she does look a bit fat..but is it possible that the owner at that petshop could have lied to me about her age? she is sooo much kind of fatter than my hammy from P@H and also if she is pregnant (coz i looked at some pics online...i dunno if she is..but she is kind of fat) i have noooo experience with hamsters let alone trying to have a pregnant hamster :( im getting really worried. i mean what other explanation would there be for her getting soooo nippy? are there hamsters that bite all the time?

n_t
10-25-2008, 03:25 PM
LOL actually managed to get a photo!

k...here goes...i hope i can do this ..i opened an account so i will post a link

http://i430.photobucket.com/albums/qq25 ... ure031.jpg (http://i430.photobucket.com/albums/qq25/n_t_02/Picture031.jpg)

http://i430.photobucket.com/albums/qq25 ... ure032.jpg (http://i430.photobucket.com/albums/qq25/n_t_02/Picture032.jpg)

http://i430.photobucket.com/albums/qq25 ... ure036.jpg (http://i430.photobucket.com/albums/qq25/n_t_02/Picture036.jpg)

hope this helps...

ModularFurball53
10-26-2008, 12:08 AM
There's loads of hamster breeders on this site, so you could maybe change the title to like "Pregnant Hamster? (URGENT)" or something like that. :)
When you were at the pet shop, was she in the cage alone or with or hammies?
The pet shop I got my hamster from had them separated into girls and boys. :)

n_t
10-26-2008, 02:06 AM
she was in her cage alone...so i dunno what could have happened to her. from the pictures does she look pregnant? if she isnt pregnant then why does she keep on biting me? i've been bitten at least 5 times now, really badly. and thats not me ever trying to hold her, but letting her smell my hand.

leedsgurl
10-26-2008, 04:00 AM
It's hard to tell if she is definitely pregnant from the pics n_t , but if she is this could explain the biting, as some expectant mums can become very territorial. If she isn't, then it could be that she is not sure if your hand is food, or could a behavioural problem, which you should be able to sort out through taming - pophammy has written a fantastic article on taming here (http://www.hamstercentral.com/wiki/Taming_tips)

Where in the country do you live? as if she does turn out to be pregnant, then perhaps an experienced breeder will be able to take care of her while she has the pups, if you don't feel you can do this.

Good luck x

n_t
10-26-2008, 04:23 AM
i live in north london but if there was someone who could help i'd be soooooo greatful - should i take her to the vets to see if she is pregnant? i've been reading up online about what to do if the hammy is pregnant and i think the most i would do is changer her bedding before she is due and just supply some watery fruits n veg a bit more than usual and leave her to do the rest? :( is this wrong? i dunno...i feel like i'm walking blindly here...

leedsgurl
10-26-2008, 04:42 AM
I don't think a trip to the vets is necessary, unless there is something wrong with her.

This (http://madabouthamsters.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=814) breeding article is on another forum, but I found it very helpful. For now I wouldn't give her too much fruit and veg as it could upset her tummy, just feed her normal food along with extra protein such as chicken, tofu, scrambled egg, and porridge or rice pudding, just in case she is pregnant.

ellisyellis
10-26-2008, 06:07 AM
sorry to hear about your hammys behavior probs. i had a hamster who constantly bit and it does take the fun out of it. we used to wear gardening gloves when we got her out to save out fingers. if she was on her own in the pet shop then it is very possible that her litter had all been sold and she was the last one left. so she could be older than they told you. she could be defending her territory when you put your hand in her cage. maybe you could let her come out herself and then handle her with some thick gloves on then you dont need to be scared. i think they can sense that you are nervous and if you jump you may make her jump aswell making her nip you. try and keep your hands steady and slow so as not to take her by suprise. also a tip somebody gave me is wash your hands so they dont smell of boy hammys or food or anything else that could confuse her and result in a nip. i would try and handle her every evening and she should improve.

pregnant hams are a worry when you first get a girl. i had exactly the same worry with one i got a few months ago. theres lots of people on here that can give you good advise on that and behavior. hope that helps a bit :wink:

n_t
10-26-2008, 08:15 AM
ok well i've looked at the linky posted and feeling much calmer now. i just dont want to lose her, hopefully everything will be ok. will keep you guys updated. i just fed her pieces of chicken and half cooked pasta with a bit of grape and carrot. with the normal harry hamster mix. i will def know whether she is preggers or not by next week right because it will have been a week since i have had her. so theoretically she would have put on weight by then. thanks for all the help! next update will be probly thurs/fri.

leedsgurl
10-26-2008, 01:16 PM
Hope all goes well n_t, we'll be here if you need any more advice :)

souffle
10-27-2008, 03:37 PM
Pregnancy lasts 16days in a Syrian so when you have had her 16days you will know n-t. It is possible for an 8wks girly to be pregnant. It is difficult for you to handle her to feel her tummy and look for reddened nipples but in the pics she is not yet particularly bulgy. I would keep giving her attention, gentle talking and try to take the lid of the cage and herd her into a box to stroke her and start the taming process. Biting can also be a sign of illness so keep a close eye on her for any signs she is unwell like looseness, discharge, lethargy.
I hope all goes well and she is just unsure at the moment and not pregnant but if she is then I am sure you will cope really well. Best of luck.

n_t
10-31-2008, 03:17 PM
hmmm ok well here is the update as promised! i have no idea if she has got any bigger...doesnt seem like it and i cant see any nipples...this might just be her being a bit fat lol. well in any case i will know by next thursday because it will have been 15 days by then! she has no signs of illness or anything, she is eating fine, certainly very active and is always running up and down her ladders and wheel - so far, so good. will keep u all updated! thanks!