PDA

View Full Version : Continuous sneezing?

KatzEyez
10-03-2005, 03:40 PM
My son's hamster has just started making continuous sneezing noises and running around the cage, also he is making squeaking noises - he does not appear to be in respiratory distress, but is shaking and periodically, the sneezing stops and he tries to sleep, only to start again a few minutes later. Is this just a cold or is it something else that needs more care? he is well looked after and has everything he needs, the only thing I can think of is that he tends to stack up his bedding under the water bottle and thus manages to get it wet, and promptly goes to sleep in it - I wonder if he hasn't caught a chill, but both Jack and I are very worried...any ideas? Please help!

babyboos
10-03-2005, 04:01 PM
Is his nose runny? Have you changed the bedding type recently? Does he appear as plump as healthy as normal? Are his eyes bright and clear? Is his hair nice and thick still, especially on his tummy?

KatzEyez
10-03-2005, 04:10 PM
Thanks for answering so promptly, sweetie...

No, his nose does not appear runny, nor his eyes watery... He hasn't lost any weight, and his eyes are bright and shiny...He looks the same as ever, except for the violent sneezing noises...The bedding we use is the same as ever, the only change we made was using white loo roll as a base as opposed to hay, as it seemed Hamish had an allergy to the hay...also, the hot summers here are not conducive to hay as bedding...too hot. Now it is getting into winter, and I wondered if the change in the weather could cause a chill...he seems to want to sleep now though, but no sooner does he drop off than he starts the violent sneezy- type noises again. He seems calm for short periods of time, and the problem is, out here in Cyprus there are no vets on call for house pets, also, I have grave doubts that the rural vets we have here probably don't know much about small rodents..

It is a relatively young hamster - 'Mish is only 10 months old at the most...and this situation happened very suddenly tonight...My son woke up to find him making these noises...I doubt whether he is choking, as I don't think he would pass stages of being calm if he was...This has been going on for about a hour and a half to our certain knowledge. If he was choking he would have not been at it this long, I don't think...

babyboos
10-03-2005, 04:24 PM
It sounds like he is being irritated by something. A cold would be associated with watering eyes and general malaise. For a cold there are really no medicines a vet would give anyway. Some say a spoonful of Cod Liver Oil. I give my guys a capsule on their food from time to time anyway, especially if they are looking a bit scruffy as it is packed full of B Vitamins. Can you move him to the bath, or a large underbed storage tub, with some of his favourite toys to see if there is any difference once he is away from his cage and the bedding? It may take some time though for his sinuses to clear. Make sure to give him a chunk of fruit or vegetable for hydration. Keep the room warm as you wont be able to give him any bedding, and if he has a cold we don't want him getting a further chill. If symptoms persist for longer than 48 hours with no signs of diminishing then this may indicate a bigger problem and really you will need to phone around for an exotics vet. Sadly you will maybe need to supervise him just in case he can get out...

Is it a new bag of bedding? What type is it? When you shred the tissue does it seem dusty at all?

KatzEyez
10-03-2005, 04:45 PM
It seems as if he is trying to sleep and the coughing or sneezing wakes him up. He curls up trying to sleep, but is taken by another violent session almost as soon as he drops off. His cage has an upper level that iis deviod of bedding, and he is up there at the moment , sitting on his hind paws and trying to wash his face...it almost looks like he is trying to blow his nose, if this doesn't sound stupid...I don't mind sitting up with him and with jack, as poor jack is worried sick as am I, You know, it is 2am here and we are both awake and with 'Mish...Seems now that he is fully awake and running around the cage...The room is warm, autumn here is still quite high in temperature, which is why I wouldn't have thought that he had caught a chill...He seems lively and he is nuzzling jack, which is normal...but for the violent cough/sneezes and the jerking when he does it he seems normal...Nose seems a little wet, but not runny...'Mish is constantly trying to 'blow' it...like when he is washing, but it seems to focus on the nose rather than the normal grooming of his face...it DOES seem strange, but he isn't squeaking in pain or any such, and is now washing there below...seems that he is to all intents and purposes normal EXCEPT for the sneezing...The bedding is standard woodshavibngs which we always use, so I would imagine that it would not have affected him..He has taken a drink of water and is now looking for food...I would assume that if he was that ill he would not wish to eat or drink? Also seems that at least for now, he is eating and the sneezing is getting less...jack is getting him some more food, so hopefully he will eat...

The loo roll Jack puts in long strips and doesn't shred it, and the woodshavings are standard ones for use with all rodents...They are improted and not local produ ct so I know they are safe- European standards and all that...There may be dust around, but generally, it is a dust free environment for 'Mish...Seems also that the sneezing has somewhat abated, at least for now...his shavings are damp, so Jack is going to change that for him to make sure he is dry for the night. That will help keep him warm.

Thanx for being here and helping us, sweetie- I really appreciate it, especially at this ungodly hour!

babyboos
10-03-2005, 04:50 PM
It does sound like he has something in his nasal passages. Do you have a container he can go in for now with no beddign etc to allow him to try and get some sleep away from any potential further irritants?

KatzEyez
10-03-2005, 05:25 PM
We put him in his small cage until Jack changed his bedding and it seems to have blown over thankfully! He is eating like a gannet now and seems back to normal. He is back in his cage now washing for all he is worth, he has had a drink and he has eaten enough for two, and he was gnawing the bars of his cage- he loves to do his teeth on those...I hope it has cleared. He is playing with a raw peanut at the moment - he loves them! Hopefully he has sneezed out whatever was the problem and he will be ok!

I will observe him for a while longer and see.

Thanks for everything, sweetie- it is good to know that we are not alone!

KatzEyez
10-03-2005, 11:40 PM
He got through the night ok, but now he is just sleeping curled up- he sneezes and jerks occasionally, but nowhere near as bad as last night...I am still worried, as he is very lethargic, but he does not appear to be in pain...I hope it is just that he is tired..

babyboos
10-04-2005, 12:31 AM
Hopefully just knackered poor chap. Let us know how is he is later on today unless anything happens.