PDA

View Full Version : Spider-Ham! is climbing safe?

Neggy
10-08-2008, 10:03 AM
Our little girl has taken to climbing up to the top of her bin cage (impressive in itself) and then hanging off the mesh and moving around it, sometimes by her arms, sometimes upside down with all four paws. She isn't gnawing, she just seems to sniff the air.

While it must be doing wonders for her arm strength, most times after a while she ends up falling off and falling the foot or so to the bottom of the cage, she doesn't seem to mind, but are hamsters ok to fall from this height or is she going to hurt herself?

Any advice greatly received.

Thanks

Neg

souffle
10-08-2008, 11:17 AM
I guess she must have a toy or something she can climb on to grab the roof bars from? All ours do this :roll: You can't really stop them. Ensure you have a thick layer of bedding so she has a soft landing and try and avoid hard things like pottery bowls where she will drop on them. We have had hams hurt themselves dropping even 9inches from the roof. They can do this in any cage if they fall badly.

Neggy
10-08-2008, 01:59 PM
thank you

Yes she climbs on her house or potty then scrabbles up.

I think I'm going to make some renovations to her house and raise the roof a bit.

I would hate her to hurt herself.

N

leafpool14
10-31-2008, 08:46 AM
My hamster did it all the time, here a snapshot I got :wink:
http://i533.photobucket.com/albums/ee331/leafpool14/Photo-0393.jpg

liam4mail
10-31-2008, 02:20 PM
Toby is fearless like a child and as soon as he falls he is off again. Carefresh gives him a nice cushion to fall onto.