PDA

View Full Version : 'The Great Escape' Hamster?

ModularFurball53
09-14-2008, 02:01 AM
Hi All! =]

I'm new to the boards, but I recently bought a Cinnamon Syrian male, who I named Bunky. He loves sleeping, but when he is awake, he spends most of his time gnawing on the bars of his cage! I have only had him for a week now, but I have noticed that the bars are already beginning to show wear and tear.

I have provided him with loads of things to gnaw on - a mineral stone, cardboard, pasta, but he always ends up going back to gnawing the bars.

I'm worried he'll hurt himself.

I was going to buy him some toys today, so does anyone have any suggestions as to good toys for hamsters who gnaw on the bars? :?

And here's a pic, because I think he's cute. :mrgreen:
http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll26/CARTER20695/Bunky/SleepyBunky.jpg

Cat XD

souffle
09-14-2008, 02:33 AM
He is adorable! what a cutie.
Bar chewing is the bain of our lives. Some hamsters just love to do it and there is no way of stopping them really apart from moving them to a tank type cage. It is not always boredom, more a habit they get into. If he is damaging his nose then you may need to consider moving him into another cage. You could try lots of cardboard boxes for him to trash, hard dog biscuits and weaving cardboard through his chew area so he cant get his nose through. There are some tips on the WIKI so have a look there.

ModularFurball53
09-14-2008, 06:05 AM
I got him from a breeder, and there he was kept in an old aquarium. I bought him a large corn cob chew, aswell as a 'Snak Shak' log thing. He seems to quite like that. Hopefully, with all the other stuff to entertain him, he'll forget about his yummy bars! :lol:

He doesn't seem to be hurting his nose, but he has only been properly doing it for a week so I wouldn't really expect him to. :?