PDA

View Full Version : Hamster breeders in Canada

jesterben
06-12-2014, 03:51 PM
Hi there, I have been having a VERY hard time finding a Syrian hamsters breeder in Canada, more specifically Ontario. If anyone professionally breeds hamsters or knows of any breeder in Canada it would be greatly appreciated if you could post or send contact information or websites. Thank you all in advance :D

Colby and the Dwarfs
06-12-2014, 04:23 PM
Hammy20 breeds Syrians in Ontario:).

Hamster Central - View Profile: hammy20 (http://www.hamstercentral.com/community/members/hammy20.html)

jesterben
06-12-2014, 05:15 PM
Thanks so much Colby and the Dwarfs!!

Colby and the Dwarfs
06-12-2014, 05:19 PM
Thanks so much Colby and the Dwarfs!!

You're welcome:).

Hekomi
06-12-2014, 07:06 PM
Jesterben, I hope to also try and breed in the next year or so. I don't immediately have a litter (neither does Hammy20 right now) but we're both breeding from similar lines, so do be careful to not mix our stock. I have a boy from her, and we have two tort females from the same litter (mine won't be bred) and I have a tort female from a different litter.

We're both in the GTA region. Feel free to contact me via PM, though I won't be breeding for a while. Hammy20 is closer to having a litter than I am, as her female is about 3mo old.

jesterben
06-21-2014, 06:46 AM
Ok thank you Hekomi I have contacted hammy20. So far I will be ready to purchase a hamster at the end of July so if hammy20 already had a litter or if am not ready etc... I will contact you. It is SOOOO hard to find Syrian breeders I am glad to have gotten in touch with a few :)

Thank for all of your replies!

cbear84
08-11-2014, 03:59 PM
I wish it were possible for me to travel and get a hamster from a good breeder. I live in Ottawa, but I don't drive, and I can't imagine transporting a new hamster like 6 hours either :S Found a breeder, but I think she just supplies the petshop I visited to start hamster inquiries.

Hekomi
08-11-2014, 04:13 PM
We will have a litter likely by the end of September, but not ready to go until around Canadian Thanksgiving.

Cbear, if you do wish to travel, you would be more than welcome to adopt. My SO and I are looking to move out closer to Oshawa/Pickering area. Albeit, it isn't a ton closer, but if we're on a GO rail, you may be able to take VIA in. Would make for a long day, however the hamster would be fine, so long as you have an adequate carrier, food, and a water source (cucumber/celery, which we will provide adoptees with).

Best of luck! I am working on creating an Ontario Hamster Association as well, so that may bring more breeders out of the wood work.

cbear84
08-11-2014, 06:07 PM
That is very excellent news! I will definately think about that, and look into prices/times. Of course university will have started, but who knows, maybe if its not too pricey, I can sneak in a weekend. Do you think VIA would mind having a hamster on board?

Hekomi
08-11-2014, 06:09 PM
Pets — excluding guide dogs — are not allowed in passenger cars. They must travel in the baggage car, which means they can only travel on trains that offer checked baggage service.

Only cats, dogs and small rodents are allowed aboard VIA trains. They must be carried in a rigid cage large enough for them to stand in, and you must provide a padlock to keep it shut.
Travelling with pets on board the train | VIA Rail (http://www.viarail.ca/en/travel-info/baggage/travelling-with-pets)

It shouldn't be too bad, though I would suggest fall or spring as the website says it's heated but not AC'd.

Usually a trip on VIA, when I lived in Kingston, was $70 round trip?

hammy20
08-11-2014, 06:58 PM
i have babies jesterben if you are still interested pm me. September 4th they will be ready to leave so let me know

Nancy's Hamsters
08-11-2014, 07:39 PM
i have babies jesterben if you are still interested pm me. September 4th they will be ready to leave so let me know

Hammy20 you sell pups at only 4 weeks old? Thought your current litter was born August 1st? Did you mean Sept 14th instead?