PDA

View Full Version : Safe greens? +1 question

Madelief
05-04-2014, 03:47 AM
Hi all, I'm new here and have a few questions. We have a 5 hamsters, 4 syrians and 1 dwarf. (I don't know if they HAVE to have cagemates, but she's a rescue and because we have so many already, my mom won't let us get her a friend)
Any way, the past month or so I've been paranoid that I don't provide good enough care for them, though they seem healthy and stuff.

I'm rambling, sorry. Now I have 3 Bearded Dragons and they need daily fresh greens, I was wondering if it's safe to give the hamsters some of this greens as well and if I remember correctly I read they need daily dark leafy greens.

I buy mixed salad from a local grocer, and the greens in the pack is:
-Butter
-Cos
-Green Frilly
-Flame
-Lollo Bionda
-Fennel
-Watercress
-Basil
-Crisp
-Red
-Green Oak leaf
-Red oak leaf
-Endive
-Rocket
-Radicchio
-Mizuna

So is there greens in there that I need to take out, is it okay to feed a bit of this greens to the hamster.

Also we started to buy Harry Hamster mix, is the food balanced or is there stuff I need to add to make it healthy and balanced?

Thanks in advance and sorry for ramblings

SinNyx
05-04-2014, 10:05 AM
Harry Hamster is a great mix, I use it for my own hamsters, it is one of the best on the market I believe.

Here is a list of safe/unsafe foods:
Safe and Unsafe Food and Plants - Hamster Central WIKI (http://www.hamstercentral.com/wiki/Safe_and_Unsafe_Food_and_Plants)

It's not necessary to feed fresh fruits each day, especially in large portions, as hamsters can get bad stomachs with too much. Hamsters are also omnivores, so you could even try them on cooked plain chicken or meal worms, though if they are live best to cut the heads off first!

Madelief
05-05-2014, 10:45 AM
Thanks! I looked around on that list but couldn't get the specific greens. Oh well, is it true that they have to have dark leafy greens available everyday or every other day? If so, what can I give them.

We feed 2 or 3x a week, some veggies and fruits. Is it okay to give the Cambells' dwarf hamster some sugary treats? I read they are prone to diabetes/

Criceto_Hamstery
05-05-2014, 11:08 AM
Thanks! I looked around on that list but couldn't get the specific greens. Oh well, is it true that they have to have dark leafy greens available everyday or every other day? If so, what can I give them.

We feed 2 or 3x a week, some veggies and fruits. Is it okay to give the Cambells' dwarf hamster some sugary treats? I read they are prone to diabetes/

Every day is too often. 2 or 3 times a week is fine and just small fingernail sized amounts.

It's best to avoid all sugary treats with Campbell's or at least limit it to twice a month at the most.

kyrilliondaemon
05-05-2014, 12:19 PM
Harry hamster is brilliant :) Fresh veg is really a personal choice, some feed it weekly and others daily - it seems to depend on whats best for the person/ham(s) involved. If you do start feeding fresh veg then I'd just start with tiny pieces every few days and build up from there if you wanted to give them more than that.

dave123791
05-12-2014, 01:47 PM
I found this website very helpful: Hamster Food & Diet - ALL ABOUT HAMSTERS! (http://pethamsters.webs.com/hamsterfooddiet.htm)

The Harry hamster mix is great, my robos love it.