PDA

View Full Version : Taming Sammy

Roverina
09-20-2005, 01:34 PM
I am well pleased tonight. I have been letting Sammy out into her playpen every day but have been a bit scared to try and hold her. I got her to walk into her see-saw tube to put her in the playpen. Tonight I sat in run too and she sniffed me a lot and I actually picked her up and had her on my chest and on my lap. This may seem trivial to all you hammy experts but for me I can tell you its a real triumph. I am feeling really pleased with myself as she seemed to be ok about it too. This is going be a great relationship I can tell you.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b283/roverina/P9120012.jpg

i-love-paddy
09-20-2005, 02:15 PM
It's not trivial at all! It a big step in her gaining your trust, especially with what she has been through recently, not to mention you.

Big round of applause =D>

pophammy
09-23-2005, 02:19 AM
Wonderful news. You have done so well and she obviously trusts you now. You will go from strength to strength now and be friends forever.

babyboos
09-23-2005, 09:22 AM
that is excellent progress - well done you two. Keep up the good work and soon you'll be showing us pictures of her sitting happily on your hand :wink:

Emma
09-24-2005, 05:36 AM
Aw, keep up the good work! I know how nice it feels when your hamster starts to trust you.

I spent an hour last night watching tv with Phoebe running around the sofa, she spent most of her time stealing bits of my egg-fried rice (I only let her have a very tiny bit, I promise!) and then running up to my shoulder or hood to eat them! They're obviously safe places to her, I hope Sammy shows you the same trust soon, it's a lovely feeling.

babyboos
09-30-2005, 10:57 AM
How have you been getting on with Sammy?

Roverina
09-30-2005, 02:41 PM
Things are going great with taming Sammy. She comes out into her play pen every night and I pick her up and hold her to my chest and then she runs down my body...she is definately liking me now. I have Brian too now but he seems to want to sleep all the time. I havent had the chance to get him out of cage yet but I have only had him a week. I will try to start next week.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b283/roverina/P9240037.jpg[/img]

babyboos
10-01-2005, 01:55 PM
Oh that really is great progress, well done :wink:

Emma
10-03-2005, 07:33 AM
Sorry to go off topic, Roverina is that playpen the one that you see on ebay for about £10-13? I never realised they were so tall......might get one for Phoebe. How big is Sammy (weight or length?)

Great to hear that she's getting on so well :)

Roverina
10-03-2005, 08:27 AM
Yes that is the one - it was £11 and it is 9 inches high. It is very good but Sammy climbs up it when shes had enough so be warned you need to be watching them all the time. It is great though for her daily exercise.

nooboo
10-03-2005, 09:04 AM
how much space do they take up?

well done with the success by the way, I am sure soon enough there will be no seperating you two, or Brian in good time :P

Roverina
10-03-2005, 10:03 AM
It doesn't take up much room at all. It is approx 33" across and it goes into an octagon, yes eight sides :wink: . You can see it a little better in the picture I hope.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b283/roverina/PA030046.jpg[/img]

hamster _hayley
10-03-2005, 10:26 AM
I've been wanting to get one of those, hhhuuuuuuuummmmmmmm I'll think about it. Well done with taming Sammy we'll make a expert out of you yet :D =D> \:D/

Roverina
10-03-2005, 01:45 PM
Trying to tame Brian now. He is a little devil he bites me every time I go near him. I had him in the play pen tonight. He sniffed around a lot and seemed to enjoy it. He goes in a ball most evenings but I thought I would let him have more of a run too. I guess he will become tame too like little Sammy.

babyboos
10-03-2005, 02:04 PM
Awww stick in there and I know it may be hard but try not to show any reaction when he bites, he is just being defensive and will soon learn it gets him nowhere. Try picking him up with both hands at his sides, fingers towards his tail, that way he will have a harder job getting something to get his mouth around... Just lift him slightly off the ground and let him down again - hopefully he'll soon get the hang of it and realise it is not all that bad. Especially if he gets a nice treat as a reward.