PDA

View Full Version : Stroking

Harry08
08-07-2008, 05:27 AM
When i am stroking Schofield he sometimes just sits there staring and kind of lowers his head when i am doing it on his head. Is this because he is a bit frightened?

jayne
08-07-2008, 11:30 AM
I'm not 100% sure on this. I am aware that when they are frightened they sometimes go on their backs, my Max done this when i first got him. It might just be he is enjoying it and is relaxing :roll:
Although come to think of it, i'm not sure they like their heads being stroked, just from their neck down. Someone can correct me if i'm wrong!

suga
08-07-2008, 11:48 AM
I don't know either to be honest, but I know that Lilbear doesn't mind being stroked on her head. She's not too keen on the ears being tickled though :D

Harry08
08-07-2008, 01:00 PM
Ok thanks for the replies! Maybe he is enjoying it. Either that or hes too polite to tell me to get lost :x :x

happysaz133
08-07-2008, 01:04 PM
I don't know either. Jasper's fine being stroked anywhere, which I am quite impressed with as he's a pet shop ham and I know a lot can be jumpy. He does move his head down a little when I stroke it, but he doesn't try to bite me or move away or anything.

Must just depend on the hamster.

souffle
08-08-2008, 03:58 PM
Ours do that! We call it 'pancaking'. They go flat at sit still. I think it is a natural response that protects them in the wild from predators seeing them move. They do it when they are unsure so as Schofield is still new he is likely not quite sure about the stroking yet.

arikata
08-09-2008, 03:31 AM
Rhys just turns around and looks at me as if to say "What are you doing woman?! Keep your hands to yourself thankyou very much!"

Spuds Mum
08-09-2008, 07:45 AM
As souffle says, we call it pancaking, or splatting! :lol: Im sure it just means that he is not quite sure about what may be happening.
Even though some of our hams are quite an age and love their strokes and cuddles, they sometimes do this. I seem to think they do this when they are 'enduring' the stroking, rather than enjoying it. It usually seems that mine do this when they want to do something else, like climb and explore, and me stroking them is just stopping them doing it!! :D