PDA

View Full Version : Trix 'moved out' of her house?!

Acorn
03-31-2014, 04:23 AM
For the last two days, Trix has abandoned her little house (plastic enclosure with no bottom and holes drilled through for ventillation), and she is now sleeping in the open, at the corner of her aquarium. We cleaned out her nesting area in her house yesterday, thinking that maybe that was the reason, but this morning, she is back sleeping in the open. There is also a wooden log tunnel in there that she could have moved her nest into, but didn't. Anyone have any ideas why she would suddenly 'move out' of her little house? I'm assuming (hoping) this is just a personality/preference kind of thing...just curious if others have hamsters that suddenly decide they would rather create their nest in the open when there are two enclosed nesting options in the pen?

SinNyx
03-31-2014, 04:27 AM
She probably just prefers it, some hamsters seem to like open nests even if they have had houses. Maybe she wanted more space? I've had hamsters with besting options move around and it's pretty normal, especially after a cage clean. If you are worried give her more bedding and maybe put some in her other house options so she can go there if she wants, and try to leave old bedding with her scent there on the next clean out so she knows it's her bed :)

Acorn
03-31-2014, 05:05 AM
The house that she has is tiny...maybe she does want some more space. We have an igloo here that we use in her run area, it is really too big for her aquarium - it 'just fits' (takes up the entire width on one side!). I'll put it in today, just to see what happens.

iCupcake7911
03-31-2014, 05:19 AM
Don't worry! Some hamsters just preffer to sleep in the open. Don't worry about it! And yes, I suggest to get a bigger hideout for her.

x

Hekomi
03-31-2014, 06:00 AM
My boys have a house to themselves, nice big spacious ones that are cosy and warm.

One has taken to sleeping in a paper towel roll tube and the other underneath one of the play structures. Both will also sleep in their edible log, or beneath the water bottles.

Hamsters will be hamsters, and I still don't get it, lol.

kyrilliondaemon
03-31-2014, 07:07 AM
Both of our syrians have open nests now, they have options to sleep in things and prefer where they've made their nests. Its not a problem and if they're happy then we leave them to it :)

Acorn
03-31-2014, 12:46 PM
Thanks for the responses :D This makes me feel better as I put the big igloo in and all that she did was walk in and check it out, then proceed to get on top of it and clean herself, and then back into the corner of the tank she went, right out in the open! She has moved much of the toilet paper that was originally in her house over to the corner of the tank...so, I guess this is where she'd rather be! I really thought she'd rather have shelter around her...guess not!

Esmy
03-31-2014, 12:50 PM
When I read your title, I picture a hamster holding a suitcase. lol

Acorn
04-01-2014, 06:37 AM
When I read your title, I picture a hamster holding a suitcase. lol

Ha ha! I can just see Trix now, holding her little suitcase packed full of nuts and seeds! :)