PDA

View Full Version : First time out the cage

Dotty
03-24-2014, 06:52 AM
I made a playpen from a very large cardboard box today and slotted the panels together it worked well so it meant I could get Fluffy out of his cage for the first time since getting him last Thursday. It was lovely to sit in the playpen with him and let him run around and I finally got to hold him on my lap and feel his little paws on my arm, ah I love him!

I've since made a bridge and tunnel for him to play on in the play pen I hope he likes it.

I will take some photos of him tonight and post them for you all to meet him :D

Stockannette
03-24-2014, 06:56 AM
Nicely done! I can hardly wait to see pics of Fluffy playing on it!

Esmy
03-24-2014, 06:58 AM
The bridge and tunnel looks awesome!

Dotty
03-24-2014, 07:05 AM
Thank you both, I love crafting I make all kinds of things usually in fabric though but I'm going to enjoy making Fluffy a few things, what do you think about the fabric hammocks for hamsters?

Esmy
03-24-2014, 07:26 AM
I was just chatting about a fabric hammock. Another HCer told me she got her hammock from this lady:

https://www.etsy.com/shop/RittlesNBittles

Dotty
03-24-2014, 07:36 AM
Thanks Esmy! I can make one from fabric and watched a video on how to, on youtube but wanted to know what others thought of them, are they safe?

Esmy
03-24-2014, 07:40 AM
Hopefully others will chime in. I think a positive is to catch falls when they fall from climbing to the top of the cage. It must also be a strong, durable fabric they can't pull apart easily with their teeth, like fleece and towels. Think bedspread or denim.

DrKMcK
03-24-2014, 08:25 AM
Dotty, that is really, really great! I could see that becoming a hammy favorite :-D

Hekomi
03-24-2014, 08:30 AM
That little bridge looks so much fun! When I'm finished my year of grad school I'm spoiling these hams with crafts galore!!!

chunksmom80
03-24-2014, 08:50 AM
I have a hammock in Chunks cage that I made from flannel. He's never had any safety problems with it, I made sure it hangs fairly low so he doesn't fall out. He loves it! He likes to get in and have a clean and then scratch at it like a mad man. It's very cute to watch

Dotty
03-24-2014, 11:16 AM
Thanks for the advice about hammocks, I will make one and see how it goes.

Fluffy won't stay still long enough to get a good photo but I will keep trying, I stupidly cut a hole in the box part of the bridge and he goes in there and won't go on the bridge, lol, never mind he will get used to it and hopefully use it. His flying saucer wheel arrived today so he has that in his cage now, he has never used a wheel before so I'm looking forward to seeing him investigate it.

Esmy
03-24-2014, 11:24 AM
Oooh that should be fun watching him learn the saucer. It's looks like they are rocking back and forth at first. Two of my Syrians like it, and the other hasn't really caught on to a fast past yet.

Dotty
03-24-2014, 11:46 AM
Wow, after writing my last post I went in the bedroom and he's got the hang of the flying saucer already, my clever boy!