PDA

View Full Version : Size difference in cage per hamster

Elbatgirl
03-12-2014, 12:56 PM
Okay so, so far Iv'e only had dwarfs and chinese hamsters. I was hoping to get a bigger one like a teddybear hamster.. Hoe big would the cage have to be for them to be comfortable?

Hamsters4eva x
03-12-2014, 01:04 PM
A Syrian would need at least 80 x 50 x 50 cm (height doesn't matter as much but you would need it to be tall enough for a suitable sized wheel) and you would need bigger food bowls, hiding places etc.

Also a teddybear hamster is a Syrian, pet shops just give them names like that so they would sell quicker :(
Hope I helped :)

Truffle
03-12-2014, 03:38 PM
I agree with Hamster4eva, the minimum for is Syrian hamster is 80 x 50 cm (which is 589 sq"). The cage you choose shouldn't be too high as Syrians are bad and clumspy climbers and often fall and injure themselves, but it does need to be tall enough to fit a 11" wheel in- which is the recommended size for a Syrian hamster.

Alot of "hamster" toys sold in shops are too small for Syrian hamsters and are better used for dwarfs, the houses, tubes and holes can get Syrians stuck or hurt in them. As a guide toys marketed "for rats" tend to be a better size.

RaspberrySam
03-12-2014, 07:02 PM
If you're handy with some tools and patience, you could also try building a bin cage. Bins like the SAMLA from IKEA are plenty big enough for a Syrian, plus it's cheaper and more versatile than some big cages out there. :D

KoPi
03-12-2014, 07:12 PM
I think bin cages are a little better for hamsters, just because multiple connected cages might cause territorial problems and the bar cages might not be working for an escape artist. Syrians also need at least a 8inch. wheel, since their backs might get hurt using dwarf-sized wheels. All hamsters need at least 360sq. inches of space to roam around in. Syrians are larger hamsters and they might need more space than dwarfs, although dwarf hamsters still do need a large amount of cage space. If you do get a new hamster, don't forget to post pictures! Good luck! :)