PDA

View Full Version : Teeny,Tiny Hybrid

Erin.R
02-17-2014, 04:48 PM
Hello,
I recently purchased another addition to our hammy family named Pip (Squeak). I think this name is very fitting for him because he is the smallest hamster I have ever seen. He was labeled as a Winter White but I am sure he is a hybrid because I got him from the PetSmart that I work at. I was wondering if anyone can tell me if I should watch out for any special issues with him being so small. To give you some insight he is about the size of a robo, maybe slightly longer. I love him to pieces already, he is so funny he acts like he has no fear at all. He climbs right in my hand, will run up my shirt and perch on my shoulder, he is just so cute! But, like I said I am a little worried that he may have health issues because of his size even though right now he is totally fine. I will have to try to get a pic of him to post so you can see just how tiny he is.
On a side note, I wish we had breeders near so I would have a choice but I am really very happy with Petsmart, at least the one I work at. We are very good to the animals there, otherwise I would not buy one let alone a total of 10 from there:D I just thought I would let people know that there are some pet stores that do really care about the animals that they care for, and shame on the ones that don't!

Colby and the Dwarfs
02-17-2014, 06:08 PM
I have a small hamster too, but she was born in my hamstery. She's a Campbell's,but smaller than a robo! I

-watch her weight

-make sure she isn't bullied

-don't put heavy things or anything in her cage that could break or fall and crush her

-since she's small, she gets stuck in things/out of things easier, so I make sure she can't get through anything

-I would NEVER consider breeding her or selling her. She's just too fragile.

Hope I helped:p

Erin.R
02-17-2014, 07:20 PM
Thank you! I have already encountered him getting stuck up a tube. He went up a long tube to a little hideout but he was too scared to come back down so I took the tube off and just attached the hideout. For now I just have him in a critertrail cage but I will be making a bin cage for him and will be sure that everything is a safe size for him. He is by himself, at first I though maybe I should bring one of his litter mates along but I wasn't sure if he would get picked on eventually. I was worried he would be too scared coming home all by himself but he seems to be adjusting really fast.
How old is your tiny girl?

Colby and the Dwarfs
02-17-2014, 08:23 PM
She'll be 7 months in 2 days( oh my, It seems like yesterday she was born!). She thinks she can get into things, but then, after getting her head in, she realizes she can't, lol! She has a sister who is twice her size, and a niece who is nearly that big. Funny thing is her whole family is nice and chunky, but she's my little tiny girl. Her mom is pretty big( not obese, just large). Vet says she's fine though! I'll try to get a pic of her, but she's really fast!

Erin.R
02-18-2014, 01:00 PM
That's great to hear! I won't worry about Pip unless he starts to show any signs of problems. Thank you very much!