PDA

View Full Version : how can i stop him

koochie
07-14-2008, 10:01 AM
Can any one help me please. My male russian wee in every spot possible in his cage.As soon as we make a clean bed he goes and wee s in it..It is making him very smelly and we are putting new fluff in at least 3 times a day. His other little friend.poor thing has to put up with having a smelly partner.
what can we do to litter train him.? We have tried the hamster toilet with hamster litter.

alvinsfamily
07-14-2008, 10:38 AM
Im still learning bout hamsters but I always tought they more or less go in the one spot. Maybe he has a water infection? x

pophammy
07-14-2008, 12:07 PM
Sometimes you can't train a hamster to use a potty. You can try and move all the dirty bedding into that potty, as this may encourage him to use it, but it doesn't always work.

Just one thing ~ by 'fluff' do you mean the cotton-wool type fluffy bedding? If so then you should not use this as it can tangle round limbs and block up pouches, causing death.

koochie
07-14-2008, 01:10 PM
we use 'nestledown. its a cosy and safe bedding for your hamster.
we have always used this with no problems.
we move the bedding he has weed on into the potty but he still does it.
No its not a water infection.

Ness
07-16-2008, 05:50 AM
he could have diabetes, this is common in russian hamsters, well so I hear. and weeing everywere can be a sign of it. is he drinking more than his friend?

I've often found that fluff bedding starts to smell quicker anyway, a cheaper option is to buy cheap kitchen roll and ripe it into bits or shread it. it also soaks up things better.