PDA

View Full Version : Rabbit Transport

ChocolateCream81
01-31-2014, 02:55 PM
I am getting two rabbits next week, and i am wondering how I could bring them hoem. Its only a 15 minute drive home. I was thinking maybe a cardboard box?
I want to keep them both together.
Any advice appreciated.
CC81

Colby and the Dwarfs
01-31-2014, 03:02 PM
When I travel with my bunnies we just carry them in our laps(we have three) but I would use some sort of wooden box because they will chew through it if they can! What kind of buns? I have a holland lop, a American tortoiseshell, and a American chinchilla;)

ChocolateCream81
01-31-2014, 03:09 PM
Thanks, I might put them on a harness... or let them hop round the car :) lol.
I am not sure what type they are yet, I will find out tommorow and keep you updated :)

Colby and the Dwarfs
01-31-2014, 03:18 PM
Lol! I love harnesses! And keep us updated, I love this stuff!

This is M waiting to go on his walk, he LOVES his harness.....

ChocolateCream81
02-01-2014, 06:30 AM
I'm just getting ready to head off now, I will try to sneek some pictures too! I need a water bottle, food bowl, hay and nuggets.....and mabye some chew toys too!

Hamsters4eva x
02-01-2014, 06:39 AM
Can't wait to see pics!

purple_x
02-01-2014, 07:43 AM
I don't agree with rabbits wearing harnesses, this stresses most of them out, they could jump and twist and break their backs (plenty of stories about of this happening)

If you are going to be keeping rabbits then surely you should have a pet carrier all ready for future vet visits and such?

Rabbits stress out SO easily and stress can kill them.
Bringing them home and taking them out on car journeys in future must be done in a safe, protective pet carrier.

Hamsters4eva x
02-01-2014, 08:33 AM
I personally think harnesses are ok... But I wouldn't take a rabbit anywhere with one if it wasn't in a secure back garden or house, rabbits can easily escape harnesses and its very dangerous if the rabbit is in a unsafe environment, anything could happen! I would take a pet carrier and cover it with a blanket or towel, (but make sure the bunnies can breath ok) as this would reduce as much stress as possible, speak to them in a soft voice and try not to make any loud noises. I know my rabbits HATE going in the car, so I always try to make them feel as safe as possible! Hope I helped :)

ChocolateCream81
02-01-2014, 09:42 AM
I have a cat carrier I am planning to use. I know everyone has different opinions about harnesses to0 :)

The rabbits are lionheads :) I will post pics soon!

ChocolateCream81
02-01-2014, 11:26 AM
This was me holding them at the rescue. They are so tame and let me pick them up with no hassle at all. :) My VioVet supplies came today (were only dispatched yesterday-really fast delivery) and I am hoping to get everything ready this week.

Now I am just thinking of names. :)
I am thinking Amigo for the mixed colour one, from watching him in and out of the cage I can see he has a really cheeky personality!

And the other one reminds me of a hare, that wild colour and long ears. Hare is Giorra in Irish. Pronounced gira.

But, knowing me, they will probably end up with completely different names :)

Colby and the Dwarfs
02-01-2014, 12:41 PM
Oh my gosh! They're precious!

I would never put a harness on a small rabbit, like my Maci, but on M it's fine, I posted the pic so you can see that it is snug...

And those rabbits look big, so I think the harness would work;)
I love the names, naming is one of the best parts of animal keeping!

Hamsters4eva x
02-01-2014, 12:44 PM
Aww they are both so sweet!

lisab
02-02-2014, 02:38 AM
I have used harnesses for years on my pets. Never had a problem with them.
I do think that transporting them on your lap is unsafe. (just think if you have a problem with the car, there is no where safe to put them)

I have used cardboard boxes when I have picked up unexpected bunnys and they never try to get out, keeping the two together in a box will be perfect as they will just cuddle each other anyway.
A proper carrier will be the ideal though. not too much room is needed in the box just in case they can hurt themselves.
I have different sized carriers depending on what bun is going in it. I use a larger one for a german lop, and a smaller one for a mini lop or netherland dwarf.

Very pretty bunnys you have there. I love harlequins :)

ChocolateCream81
02-02-2014, 02:42 AM
Thanks Lisab, my friend has a dig carrier for her yorkie, and she said she will lend me that. I am pretty sure we have a cat carrier somewhere in the attic, i just cant find it!