PDA

View Full Version : Bar chewing finally resolved!

Scrubby
01-22-2014, 06:45 PM
Yes thats right, another post about Pumpkins bar chewing, but this time it's positive!
She has still been chewing the bars and I've tried a countless amount of solutions to get her to stop but there is no holding back.
BUT...
Earlier today I took a trip to Pets At Home (just for a look around) and I was looking at all the chews when I saw the Knobbly Gnawers. £1 each, very good value I thought.
I had an idea in the shop and I bought 2 of them.
When I got home I almost immediately attached them to her cage - they have a nut and bolt at the top so there is no way she can pull them off.

With Pumpkin there is one bar in particular that she chews, if it's blocked or she can't get to it, she won't move to another bar, she'll just stop.
Luckily for me the bar she likes is in the very corner of her cage on the second level so the gnawers were easy to attach to block the bar.
I put one in vertically from the top of the cage pointing downwards and one horizontally pointing across her cage going under the other gnawer so they make an upside down T shape.
When I had attached them she came up, gave them a sniff and a bit of a chew but then left them. She had no interest on trying to move them or get to the bar, she just went off and played with one of her toys.
FINALLY!
I am so happy i've found a solution to her chewing. Noise wasn't a problem as I bought myself some earplugs but it was her welfare and teeth I was worried about. She even managed to give herself a bit of a poorly eye from her bar chewing but she hasn't chewed all day.
Even if she does decide to chew, at least it will be the gnawers which are actually good for her teeth rather than metal bars.

If you are in this situation I highly recommend doing the same. It costs £2, that's all. Thought it will only work if the bar is on a second level, in a corner. Give it a try.

Much love!
Scrubby

chinesehammy
01-22-2014, 09:35 PM
They are great! I have them in the pets at home carrot version and the original ones your talking about. I second scrubbys opinion, seem to be pretty popular with the hams! :)

Truffle
01-23-2014, 03:59 AM
I have a couple for my hamsters, they didn't seem to keen on them to begin with. However Mischief especially loves them... I have staggered them up the side of her cage- like stairs and she hops from one to the other!

Char
01-23-2014, 02:54 PM
Autumn loves these and chewed all the way through one, see here

http://www.hamstercentral.com/community/syrian-hamster/47738-gotta-see-autumn-super-chewer.html

kyrilliondaemon
01-23-2014, 04:18 PM
We've used them for Eggbiscuit :) The catch is that she happily wrecks them lol
We make our own now, we don't go in the local P@H so its cheaper and easier to just make our own and hand those over. We needed quick and easy replacements when we were using them to try and stop Chainsaw Jaws (Eggbiscuit) eating her way out of her cages or destroying her teeth on her cage bars. It didn't stop her but it did keep her occupied for a little while. She has them in her nice chew proof and bar free cage and still chews them reguarly :)

Scrubby
01-23-2014, 07:32 PM
They're so good, especially for those nightmare chewers. I have two hamsters, Scrub doesn't really chew on anything apart from her cornleaf pencil from time to time but Pumpkin chews and chews and chews. They're only £1 so I don't mind Pumpkin destroying it because I can always buy her a new one. She does like chewing on the gnawers (thank goodness), she doesn't really chew any of the chews in her cage, obviously as she's still a baby the health of her teeth is vital so chewing the bars always had me worried. I'm glad I've found a soliton to the bar chewing AND something she actually enjoys chewing. :)

Vonni911
01-24-2014, 07:10 PM
That sounds amazing! I have to see if there is anything similar to that here, in my PetSmart. i might check out a couple of other pet stores and Amazon to see if I can find them. I mam also worried about the condition of Niblet and Hamlet's teeth.
Thanks for sharing, and congratulations!!!