PDA

View Full Version : My Girls.

Vonni911
01-21-2014, 06:36 PM
All of my girls couldn't be more different! Hamlet LOVES the wheel and will run for hours. She runs during the day while everyone is asleep. She is just so active. Even when she isn't in the wheel, she will run to get wherever she is going. You guys should see her zooming around the playpen!
The worst thing about Hamlet is that she bites. She didn't bite when i first acquired her; but a couple of days after she came home, she started nibbling fingers. If I stick my hand in the cage o change the food, she will run over to my hand, bite, and run away. Even when she is crawling around in my hand, she bites. Multiple times. She also bites her cage bars. I have tried to get the biting to stop; but she persists.
Marga and Hamlet are littermates and they still get along swimmingly; but they are polar opposites! Marga is my sweet girl. She loves tom sleep or just sit in one spot for a decent amount of time. I hardly ever see her running in the wheel. Her favorite activity is sleeping! LOL She is also the only hammie that will willingly crawl into my hand when I put it in the cage. I have also NEVER gotten a nibble from her. She is so sweet and dicle; she loves to be stroked.
Finally, there's Niblet. She is the oldest and has slowed down considerably. She doesn't run in her wheel at all. When I put them all in the playpen, both Niblet and Marga will fill the house with toilet paper and nap. Hamlet just runs around the play-penand the wheel. Niblet and Hamlet don't particularly like one another, so I have to watch those two. She used to nibble on fingers; hence the name 'Niblet'.
Her undesirable behavior is biting the bars on the cage. Once Niblet starts to bite, Hamlet will join in and there is a cacophony of cage biting. They basically both bite on the door and the surrounding area. niblet probably has more toys than the other girls have; however all she wants to is bite the bars.
Other than putting something foul tasting on the cage; how do I discourage this behavior?
Other than that, Niblet is an angel. You can definitely tell that she is older and as calmed down a lot.
I just wanted to share a few things with you all. If you find anything unusual, please let me know. I want to make sure that they are all happy and healthy. They all mean the world tom my son and I. We would both be devastated if anything ever happened to them. I am sure you all can relate.
I have attached a few pictures. There is one of Niblet staring right at the camera, she has a sunflower in her paws. There is also a shot of Hamlet in the wheel and running up to the camera one she saw it. She was so curious. In addition, there is a shot of Niblet playing with toilet paper. That happens to be her favorite toy. She loves to shred it, haul it around, and use it as part of her nesting materials. In hope you enjoy the shots!

Colby and the Dwarfs
01-21-2014, 07:52 PM
Ha! This is so cute! I have a sweet and a crazy girl too! My Daisy and Rebel are sisters, but like yours, polar opposites! Willow and Zippy are also siblings(Rebel's pups) and they are totally different, but when they were young( now they're separated, being boy and girl) they were best friends. Ah, hamsters and their antics.

Vonni911
01-24-2014, 06:37 PM
Ha! This is so cute! I have a sweet and a crazy girl too! My Daisy and Rebel are sisters, but like yours, polar opposites! Willow and Zippy are also siblings(Rebel's pups) and they are totally different, but when they were young( now they're separated, being boy and girl) they were best friends. Ah, hamsters and their antics.

'Hamsters and their antics', exactly! I love putting them in the playpen and watch what they do. Marga and Nblet usually snuggle together on a wheel or a pile of toilet paper. Hamlet just runs around the playpen and cchew on the bars closest to me so I will take her out.
Hamlet and Niblet don't really get along. Sometimes Hamlet will go and pick on Niblet, and once Niblet has had enough; she will turn on Hamlet and hamlet will squeak and flip onto her back. It doesn't happen often and no one gets hurt; I just keep a close eye on them.
Plus, I have only eve owned one boy hammie; he was a Syrian. Are boys that much different in behavior? I was thinking about getting another male Syrian; but I have to think long and hard on that. I just wonder if males act significantly different than female hamsters...

Colby and the Dwarfs
01-24-2014, 08:38 PM
I have found that if you ask someone about their favorite ham, it's usually a male. People generally lean toward males because of their curious, laid back personalities. Females, at least young females, are more entertaining, they're bouncy and playful. They run and jump and scream and play, while males like to eat and sleep. And, and I'm not just saying this cause I'm a girl, I've found girls to at least act smarter. They hide things, think about things, solve puzzles and complete tasks. Recently, I gave all the hams the same puzzle treat toy. The hams had to unwrap tissues and move things to find treats. The more you work, the more treats you got. I checked them in the morning. Every single girl had found and eaten/hidden all the possible treats. None of the boys had touched theirs. None! I do have a few more gals than guys, but only a few more. It was crazy! Now, this doesn't apply to all hams. I had a litter once with a baby boy who was CRAZY! While the other boys slept, he ran and played. You could see his little muscles! He was crazy athletic and crazy smart. He went to a great home with the warning: he's a crazy munchkin! That said, all baby hams are playful! I have owned male and female dwarfs(it's hard to breed hamsters without a male, you know!) and one male Syrian, Colby. And this is just my experience, obviously.