PDA

View Full Version : Please help me, babies trying to mount the other??

Roverina
09-13-2005, 07:59 AM
I came home from work to find one of the babies trying to mount the other. I got hold of it and found out it was a male so I got the new cage ready and popped him in there. He is definately 3 weeks old but you see there is the chance he is older. I have done the right thing havent I as being only the 2 babies he is now all alone in a big cage and he looks very sad. I dont want to risk the same thing happening as did with his Mum. He was definately trying to mount her and not playing........I just hope I wasnt too late.

Just want confirmation that I am doing the right thing please.

SnuggleHam
09-13-2005, 08:04 AM
Well, if you have a hamster running around trying to mount the others then I would definitely have to say the right thing to do would be to separate him! Unless you want more babies, but if they are related that this is not good.

So I would say you did the right thing by separating him

:)

Roverina
09-13-2005, 08:06 AM
Yes thank you for support. I just panic that maybe he is too young to be all alone but I am sure it was what he was trying to do. He was following her round and trying to get on her back.

nooboo
09-13-2005, 10:06 AM
sounds like he was interested in non sibling ways

babyboos
09-18-2005, 03:30 AM
They are a little young to be mating at 3-4 weeks, boys develop a little later than girls so they are generally okay living together until 28 days old. At this point females satart to become sexually mature, about 7 days later males, but there are always early developers. It may also have been play fighting - they do a lot of dominance wrestling at this age, which is why we don't recommend keeping Syrians in company much passed 6 weeks old as it does start to get quite violent. Quite a number of ripped ears and the like you see in hamsters come from sibling fighting.