PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on the Duna Fun?

HamsterLady
01-14-2014, 04:49 PM
Hi guys, my syrian has never seemed happy in the zoozone2 I got him several months back. He doesn't use the space, I think he feels exposed. I've put lots of cover in there but I think he'd be much happier in a different cage - one with levels to hide under and tubes to run through etc. I think the Duna Fun looks great, ideal for his personality and preferences. It seems a little smaller than the recommended cage size for a syrian hamster, but does that really matter with all the levels and tubes giving extra space? Obviously he comes out in his ball a few times a week too (wakes VERY late so every night is not an option!).

Sanctuary
01-14-2014, 07:28 PM
I would never have a hamster in something so small. Maybe try getting the Duna fun Large. They are much better and have two shelves in them and enough room to put a big wheel in :)

Truffle
01-15-2014, 12:05 AM
I also feel that the duna fun would be to small but especially for a Syrian hamster. Also you will have to remove one of the levels so that you can fit a large enough wheel in. I believe that I currently have seven ferplast cage however at the moment I am only using two of them. Ferplast cages I have found to be a complete pain to assemble however they do look nice, are easy to clean, have decent sized tubes for Syrian hamster and make ok cages. However you do need to aware that the plastic (especially the lid) is prone to cracking or shattering and the base is made of thin plastic, Mischief my Syrian hamster chewed through and made holes in three different cages. I would also recommend either buying a duna fun large or looking around for another cage... I have two duna fun larges connected together and I do like them, though I have still have to remove a floor to fit the right sized wheel in. I don't know how you feel about possibly buying a second hand cage as duna's in my opinion over-priced for what they are, places like preloved, eBay and gumtree often have cages in good condition for alot less.

racinghamster
01-15-2014, 04:27 AM
How about an Alaska cage from Zooplus? It`s barred though so could start your Syrian bar chewing. Not guaranteed, but worth thinking about. The Zoozone 2 is very big, but I would have thought necessary for a Syrian, although I guess it depends on the Syrian! My lad used to live in a Savic Mickey 2XL, a 7mm narrow barred cage and I always though it was too small. Looking back I would have loved the ZZ2 for him but chose this cage instead.

Have you got a good solid shelf in the ZZ2 for him to go under or to climb up on? Sometimes making the cage `seem` smaller for him might work. Put an up-turned shoe box at the other end also with doors cut into it and the lid removed. I used one of these for my Syrians sleeping house and he loved it! x

Bekki2308
01-15-2014, 04:42 AM
If you hamaster is space phobic in a zz2 I wouldnt go for a barred 80x50 its not much smaller and its more exposed to sounds and smells. Personally id try a smaller bin cage rather than spend so much on a duna fun, much cheaper and allows you to see if a smaller space will make a difference to your hams behaviour :-) A wham 110 litre or 84 Litre RUB have the floorspace of a zoozone1 so are smaller than the zz2 but not as small as the duna fun, also they're £20 and £12 respectively so much cheaper! Plus if they're no good as cages they're good for storing hamster gear.

racinghamster
01-15-2014, 04:59 AM
Good idea Bekki. I do admire your Bin cages. I was just looking through the `show us your cages` thread yesterday and saw some of your Bin cages and I love the way you have meshed them and stacked them. :) They do seem to be a cheaper alternative to some of the commercial cages out there and with a bit of imagination and DIY skills, Bin cages could be the better option. x

Bekki2308
01-15-2014, 05:36 AM
Thanks RH :D my bin cages are always changing as rescues get rehomed with them :-) currently have none of my own hams in them but thats only because I got hold of some tanks for peanuts/free so essentially the same only glass!

racinghamster
01-15-2014, 05:56 AM
They do seem to be good cages for different species, even mice. I like Bin cages as long as they are designed well. Small mesh on the front and the lid and big enough to be classed as a decent living space. Some Bin cages are too tall for me. I prefer them to have safe height, but more floor dimensions. But I guess for a Syrian it would need depth too! x

HamsterLady
01-16-2014, 01:56 PM
Thanks for all the replies guys, very helpful, lots to think about! I love the look of the large version but yikes at the price tag!! It's gotta be a no to the Alaska and bin cages unfortunately, I can't have bars due to one of my cats being evil... And I've not been successful in finding a bin with a totally flat bottom to date! Everyone I've seen has ridges in the bottom of a thin base making it way to easy to gnaw through. I keep hoping a decent aquarium will come up on ebay in my area but no such luck just yet x

Sanctuary
01-16-2014, 01:59 PM
I agree the price tag on the duna fun large is stupid.
es if you can get an aquarium cheap form somewhere that would be your best option :)

souffle
01-16-2014, 02:31 PM
I'm likely going against the grain here but I do believe in the right cage for each individual. You know your hamster best and can judge best what will suit but I have known many hamsters who have had a happy, content and fulfilled life in the Duna Fun. The only drawback recorded is that the plastic is quite brittle and can crack unless you are very careful.

Lady
01-16-2014, 04:19 PM
Someone just posted on here that they are selling a used Duna Fun Large. Could be ideal.

kyrilliondaemon
01-16-2014, 07:05 PM
What about the zoozone 1?
Personally I'd not be happy using a duna fun for a syrian. I do agree with Souffle that its about getting the right cage for the ham but I'd definetly want to try an intermediate step before going as drastically down from a ZZ2 to a duna fun. What about making a bin cage with a secure lid and only mesh on the lid? It might be cheaper than getting a new cage

HamsterLady
01-17-2014, 05:36 PM
Someone just posted on here that they are selling a used Duna Fun Large. Could be ideal.

Thanks I had a look but unfortunately it's too far away for me x

I did wonder about the ZZ1, but I think something with a platform in would be good as it provides shelter and a more snug sense of security I think x

kyrilliondaemon
01-17-2014, 06:43 PM
You could always add/make a platform for the ZZ1? Its all up to you though :)

Truffle
01-18-2014, 04:18 AM
I have been looking into buying the wooden platform that The Range sell, I was planning to put it at one end of my hamster heaven instead of the funny green level. I think that it would also work nicely in the zoozone 1 though, it seems to be fairly large and solid. I think that it is made by Boredom Breaker.

Grey
01-18-2014, 06:18 AM
It may be possible to make your own shelving for the house you currently have though Trixie have a "natural living shelter" that could work as a shelf really well. It's a 30 x 22 x 25 cm item, and it is free standing so you don't need to worry about attaching it to anything. I imagine a couple of those (you might be able to get them cheaper elsewhere, too) could create a nice, sheltered area. Though, as others have said, you know your hamster best. :) I do hope you can find a suitable solution very soon and wish you the utmost success with it!

Here's a link to the shelter mentioned:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Trixie-Natural-Living-Shelter-30/dp/B000WFCFNI/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=OM0IDBXDQWYG&coliid=I2BFOT39F2L0Z1