PDA

View Full Version : Moving things around!

Chewster
01-09-2014, 01:59 PM
Hiya,
So I've had my hamster for a week. I've left her all week to settle in (haven't tried to hold her or anything) but she was hiding in her nest that she built and not coming out apart from to see what I was doing when I walked in the room, or to get some food/drink.

The cage is a bit on the small side (i'm still learning all this, am getting a new one from zooplus). It is the Bristol cage that has a large platform above the base of the cage. Chewy wasn't venturing up there at all and was just hiding under the house in a nest she built in the corner, plus there wasn't much room for me to get my hand in to move things about.

So tonight I put her in her exercise ball for the first time - which she LOVED - and I took the green shelf out. I did a quick spot clean as it didnt really need much cleaning yet and added some extra bedding.
When Chewy got back in she ran around looking at everything (there is now room for a tube toy which i've put in there) and she's actually just gone into the house which I put down on the base of the cage.
Basically the cage seems a lot more airy and less cramped now. She hasn't squeaked or seemed scared at the changes.. I just wanted to ask, have I done a good thing or will it have traumatised her??

It seems this way she has more space to move around and she wasn't using the big platform anyway....
I just want what's best for her and this is all a bit new to me..

Thanks

:confused::shock:

SinNyx
01-09-2014, 02:11 PM
Do not worry! If she seems all fine, she appreciates it ;)
If she wasn't using the platform then it's a good thing, they have the same kind of platform on the hamster heaven and my ham always found it a bit annoying and so did I! I know a lot of people say to not change things too much, but it's really major changes....if you had her for about a day and suddenly cleaned it all and moved it around and did that constantly, then maybe she would be a little bit annoyed, but she sounds fine and don't let it bother you, many people just say this as a warning to some people, but hamsters can adapt :)
Can't wait to see pictures of her new cage when she is settled in it!

Chewster
01-09-2014, 02:17 PM
Ahh great thank you! I have to say that since I put her back in just now she's like a different hamster! She's not hidden away, she's running through the tubes and seems a lot more active! Maybe she felt cramped before!
She's started chewing the cage bars now but i'll deal with that separately, i'm just glad she's not hiding and seems a bit happier, I was terrified that she would freak out at the new-style cage and get stressed...!
I think going out in the ball tonight helped too, it's shown her there's life outside the cage!
I'm such a worry wart, everything has been stressing me out this last week, I was convinced she would get wet tail and die for the first 2 days!!! :(

SinNyx
01-09-2014, 02:23 PM
She will be fine :) There are some hamsters that do prefer open space, which is usually what Syrians are like, I think most people find that Chinese/dwarf hamsters seem to prefer a more cramped space.
I always worried about wet tail too - it's normal, trust me! I have only once had a hamster with wet tail (and I have had 13+ hamsters!), but it wasn't due to stress or anything, I am pretty sure wet tail can become more common in genetics.
Ah, the joy of bar chewing...as long as she has plenty to chew she will be happy. I give mine a lot of cardboard boxes ect and they spend ages chewing on them, fun for them, good for their teeth and it's not exactly expensive! :)

Chewster
01-09-2014, 02:32 PM
Ahh cool thanks!
Yep i've given her a couple of cardboard toilet rolls and she's chewed a bit of one of them, so that might help. I've also put up one of those fruit sticks that's attached to the side of the cage so that might distract her!
The only thing is is that she doesn't really have a big house to sleep in. From the minute she arrived she made a (huge!) nest out of the paper bedding and didn't use the house that came with the cage. Now that the platform is gone though her nest is a bit more exposed... I didn't disturb it or take any of it away when I cleaned earlier, I just removed some of the poo that was in there..... I guess she might start using the house that came with the cage now if she feels too exposed??
Thank you for your advice, it has put my mind at rest loads :)

SinNyx
01-09-2014, 02:36 PM
I have a hamster that has always preferred making his own nest, she may just personally prefer the space of it. If she feels too exposed, she may change, but I can imagine with how huge her nest is she will be fine with it!
If you are worried she feels exposed then I suggest putting some bedding in the house that came with the cage too if you haven't already as she will either move it for her own nest or decide to sleep in there. You are doing the right things for her though! :)

Chewster
01-09-2014, 02:39 PM
Ahh yes i'll do that! Then she has a choice! I also got her a hamster napper which is like a mini dog bed and she likes sitting in that too, so she's got loads of choices!! I've basically spoilt her!! :)

SinNyx
01-09-2014, 02:50 PM
Cute, I have never had one of them for my hams...I think I had a winter glove in one of my hamsters cages once and she uses it as a bed...even washed it for her! It was very big mind, and comfy, hah.
She will be very happy being so spoiled! What new cage are you getting her? I see you are getting one from Zooplus, they have such an amazing range of cages, hard to find a decent one at any pet shop!

Chewster
01-09-2014, 02:57 PM
Either the Alaska or the Barney I think (although the Barney is out of stock at the moment) as they seem to be recommended a lot on here.... I got the silent spinner wheel for her too so she should have lots to keep her occupied.
What are your thoughts on mineral stones? I bought one from Pets @ Home but it's huge and i've seen mixed reviews on them....

SinNyx
01-09-2014, 03:09 PM
Great pick of cage - I am personally looking into getting the Alaska soon :p both are definitely recommended on here, but of course, some prefer one over the other so it's best to make your own opinions on them!
In regards to mineral stones, I personally do not use them, I feel that my hamsters don't really need them and I always have their mix well and add my own bits in to it along with the fresh/cooked foods as treats.
The last time I used a mineral for my hamsters was a pack of a mineral lick and salt lick, but the hamster that was using them seemed to get ill as he was using it too much and drinking too much because of it, but this was more likely due to the salt lick! If you want to use it, I say watch her to make sure she doesn't over-use it and if she does, go to limiting her use of it, as some hamsters may chew them too much and get more than they need out of it! Then again, this is just my personal opinion, you know what is best for your hamster! :)

Chewster
01-09-2014, 03:13 PM
Hmmm I think i'll wait for a bit as i'm giving her the hamster mix as well as bits of carrot and broccoli and treats.... She seems to eat loads though as I thought i'd find loads of rotting carrots etc in her bedding tonight but there was nothing there! :)

SinNyx
01-09-2014, 03:19 PM
Have you ever tried her with a bit of cooked chicken? Mine usually have a bit after a Sunday roast, they love it! Obviously nothing with spices, a nice freshly cooked chicken. You could even try her with a bit of a boiled egg, there is so much of a variety to give hamsters, main reason I never see the need to add minerals as chews or anything to their water.
If you haven't already seen it, there is a great list on the HC Wiki awith safe/unsafe foods :)
Safe and Unsafe Food and Plants - Hamster Central WIKI (http://www.hamstercentral.com/wiki/Safe_and_Unsafe_Food_and_Plants)

Chewster
01-09-2014, 03:26 PM
Oh great thank you! No I haven't tried chicken, or egg, but I will! Thanks! :)

DrKMcK
01-09-2014, 07:08 PM
Hello Chewster. It sounds like your little one is settling in nicely. But go slow on the veggies. I usually wait until about a I have a hammy for aobut a month before I give vegetables. It's stressful enough moving into a new environment on their little tummies. Once I have a hammy for a month or so, then I start giving vegetables twice a week for about a month and then I start adding fruit on a third day. The rest of the week I'll do various nuts, mealworms, pasta, chicken, scrambled egg, plain yogurt, dry oatmeal. All these treats, besides their regular food, add variety and extra nutrition to their diet and keep them interested in what you might have for them. This is going to be a happy little ham :-D

Chewster
01-10-2014, 08:12 AM
Ahh ok I won't give her any more for a while! She seems to eat quite a lot as when I cleaned out her nest I was expecting to find loads of food stored there and bits of rotting carrot but there wasnt anything there! I'll wait a few more weeks and stick to the museli for now! :)