PDA

View Full Version : how do i stop nibbles getting bored?

daydreambeliever
01-07-2014, 04:01 PM
I've ordered a bigger saucer for him he has a tube a lufer a wooden.treasure chest and some hanging toys. He still chess the bars and I feel awful because it must mean I am not.doing.enough for him. Any tips?

DrKMcK
01-07-2014, 07:41 PM
Hamsters are notorious for bar chewing. Some hamsters, with even a ton of toys, will still chew the bars. A hammy who won't stop chewing needs to live in a tank or a bin set up. Some chewers also chew in a bin setup too, so a tank is the only sure fire way to stop a chewer. Some of the hammy owners here on HC have some absolutely fantastic tank homes for their hamsters. Check out the sites on houses to see some of the homes. You'd be surprised what you can do for a bar chewer! :-D

daydreambeliever
01-07-2014, 11:55 PM
He was in a tank at p@h and.chewed still to the extent he nearly.got.out

tolennaki
01-08-2014, 10:39 AM
How big is his cage? Some hamsters chew because they don't have enough space to run around. Consider making some home-made toys every other day for him, so he doesn't get bored with his permanent toys. I used to take toilet paper rolls from where I work (these were thicker and harder than ordinary rolls), fold one end up, put some hamster food in, then fold the other end up. It used to take my hamster a while to chew through these and get his food, thus reducing boredom and satisfying chewing instinct. My hamster never liked chew toys, I guess because there is no actual gain from them, such getting food or escaping from the cage :lol:

SoapyVP
01-08-2014, 10:55 AM
Does he have a hamster ball? My 'monster' seemed to calm down a little after this purchase!

Nush
01-08-2014, 11:18 AM
Does he have a hamster ball? My 'monster' seemed to calm down a little after this purchase!

I agree. If you tire him out he might have less energy to chew and won't get bored. So a hamster ball is a good suggestion and probably a few good runs in a playpen. Also I scatter feed in the play pen so that my hammy feels he's got a job to do (hoover all the food up). I try to hide it in different places, it keeps him busy.

Good luck:smile:

DrKMcK
01-08-2014, 12:03 PM
I agree. If you tire him out he might have less energy to chew and won't get bored. So a hamster ball is a good suggestion and probably a few good runs in a playpen. Also I scatter feed in the play pen so that my hammy feels he's got a job to do (hoover all the food up). I try to hide it in different places, it keeps him busy.

Good luck:smile:
That's a really good idea Nush. I never thught of scattering food for the furries in their playpen. Must do that! Today! Thanks. :-D

daydreambeliever
01-09-2014, 02:58 AM
He runs around his cage I've scattered.food I've given him ball time. It's when I'm sleeping or trying to sleep he bites the cage

Truffle
01-09-2014, 07:05 AM
Mischief chews on the bars on her cage even though she has a massive cage full of toys, she has not made it a bad habit yet but if it progresses I will look into getting a tank for her.

Does your hammie chew in to same place, or all around the cage? If your hammie does always chew in the same corner for example, he might be trying to get your attention, you could try to distract him. This might be done by threading cardboard/toliet rolls through the bars where he bites or as one off placing a threat stick there.

If your hamster chews all over is cage it is proberbly becoming a bad habit as I believe that bar-biting can be addictive to hamsters. It is harmful as it will damage there teeth and could cause injury to there month and nose area. I read somewhere that spreading a bit of olive oil on the bars can discourage chewing as hamster don't like the smell. I believe that this is safe and not harmful (though please double check before trying it). Dont ever use lemon juice as it is too acidic and is harmful to your hamster.

I know that you said you have tried a tank before, but if all else fails I can't think of another option. Just make sure that the tank is glass (so he cant chew though) and is big enough, a 40 gallon breeder or a 55 gallon would be a good size. I know that new tanks are very pricey but you could look on places like preloved, ebay or gumtree for a bargain as second hand can be a really good option provided that they are clean throughly before use etc.

daydreambeliever
01-09-2014, 11:59 AM
He does it in the same place and sniffs when i get up to check on him, ive put a mineral stone on his door, so at least it will do him good when he chews

Nush
01-10-2014, 03:25 AM
That's a really good idea Nush. I never thught of scattering food for the furries in their playpen. Must do that! Today! Thanks. :-D

I hope Ted E enjoyed foraging in his pen for his mix:D. My vet suggested it when my hammy needed to lose weight. It worked really well but he also enjoys 'catching' his dinner.

Daydreambeliever, I think your hamster has you wrapped around his little finger:p
Since you give him plenty of exercise and meet all his needs, you shouldn't feel guilty. But that's easier said than done. Can you put him in another room when you're sleeping so that you don't hear him when he's biting the bars? A few nights of this and he'll probably learn that his methods aren't working.

daydreambeliever
01-10-2014, 07:47 AM
Last time i tried to put him in another room and the cat nearly got him, the bigger spinner didnt fit in the cage, I am going to see if my sister wants it for her degu I have got myself some noise cancelling headphones so fingers crossed, I think he knows I spoil him :). He was a biter in the petshop tonight I am going to hide some treats around the cage

Scrubby
01-13-2014, 08:37 AM
I don't even know where to start about chewing. My Pumpkin is the worst hamster for chewing. I tried tiring her out - had her out for 2 hours once in her playpen, ball and running round the couch. I put her back and it didn't make a difference. I've tried scattering food, she eats it and goes straight back to the bars (of course I don't wanna over feed her so i'm not gonna put loads in) I can't even tell you how many things I have tried to get her to stop chewing, even buying a brand new £45 cage didn't help (I hate tanks and bin cages)
I've done the same as you and put a mineral block on her favourite bar to chew thought she still moves it up and down so she can chew above and below it.
How young is she? I've read they are likely to grow out of it which I really hope she does.
Good luck with the chewing anyway.

daydreambeliever
01-13-2014, 01:30 PM
I got nibbles he was between 6-8 weeks and I have had him a month so He is atleast 2 months old

pikabeatlechu
01-19-2014, 10:11 AM
Making a bin cage is probably your best bet for chewing, they're much cheaper than aquariums and very easy to make.