PDA

View Full Version : Winter White/Campbell Fight!!HELP!

Timster2015
01-06-2014, 06:08 PM
I have two female Winter Whites that I got from Petsmart. I was told that they were Winter Whites but one of them looked like a Campbell. When I got them they were in the same cage in the back of the store. They weren't supposed to be put out in the front because they were too young to be sold, but Petsmart sold them to me anyway.

When I first got them, they were about the same size. Suzan (one that looks like a Campbell) was more active always running on the wheel and she seemed more dominant. Puss on the other hand was less active and didn't run on the wheel very much(I had two wheels). She just sat in the wheel and rocked around. They got along really well for months.

So just last week I left for vacation( just got back today) and I left my hamsters with my cousin so he can take care of them before I get back. Before I left, Suzan and Puss were still getting along just fine. When I got back today the first thing I noticed was that Puss was turning white and was about two times bigger than Suzan and there looked like a scar on her nose. Suzan still looked about the same. They started fighting when I saw them. I thought they were just having a fit until Suzan came out of the dome house bleeding. I separated them now just in case they might hurt each other even more.

I called my cousin to see what happened when I was gone and he said when I left after a few days, they started to roll around in a ball. He didn't think much of it since he was inexperienced with hamsters and thought they were just playing. That was probably when Puss got her scar on her nose.

I'm not sure what happened when I left but they never fought like this before. Is it because they might be of different species? Was this bound to happen? Was it a food problem because my cousin did dump a huge amount of food in the cage and I noticed Puss was kind of guarding the food?:confused: I really need help. I don't want to separate them because they have been together for a long time and will it cause some sort of depression?

Colby and the Dwarfs
01-06-2014, 07:52 PM
Hamster pairings rarely work out. I've had hamsters for a LONG time, and only one pair has worked:( Don't worry, it won't cause depression! And they're likely both hybrids. You did what you could, and it isn't your fault. Just separate them and everything should be fine, good luck!

evel_lin
01-07-2014, 12:22 AM
If blood has been drawn then they need to be separated permanently. It is difficult to keep same sex pairs, although there are things that can make it more likely they'll stay together such as scatter feeding, having two wheels, no levels etc.

They won't get depressed by living alone. Many people keep dwarfs by themselves.

Also fwiw they are unlikely to be pure bred Campbells or Winter White hamsters so they are infact hybrids

BlackRose
01-07-2014, 01:43 AM
I agree with the above person. Hamster pairs always are at danger of having a fall out.
Sometimes it works, someties not.
Just remember that the rule is: when there's blood, seperate and never put together again.

I was in the same situation not to long ago, and my hammy's are much happier alone.

Timster2015
01-07-2014, 07:11 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone! I feel less stressed out now. They seem to be doing well and like the independence from each other. Puss seems to have become more active and Suzan seems to like the extra space. :D

Colby and the Dwarfs
01-07-2014, 07:16 PM
Glad things are working out. Keep us updated!