PDA

View Full Version : how much treats do you give your Hammy each day?

alvinsfamily
06-26-2008, 11:52 AM
And what sorts. We have had Alvin for a month now and have given him such tiny amounts of frit nd veg to get him used to it, but I wasnt sure how much I should be giving him now his used to it x

Spuds Mum
06-26-2008, 12:01 PM
Mine don't get regular sweet treats, but every other day they will get a teaspoon of porridge, a square of tofu, slice of hard boiled egg or piece of chicken.
They also get small amounts of veg such as broccoli, carrot or runner beans.

In fact the only time they seem to get sweet treats such as a yoghurt drop, is when we are trying to get them to sit still for photos! :D

alvinsfamily
06-26-2008, 12:04 PM
I thought hamsters were vegatarians x

Spuds Mum
06-26-2008, 12:12 PM
no, hamsters love a little bit of protein in the form of egg/meat every now and again. And they love mealworms too (fed dried or alive!) :lol:

arikata
06-26-2008, 12:37 PM
no, hamsters love a little bit of protein in the form of egg/meat every now and again. And they love mealworms too (fed dried or alive!) :lol:

Ewwwww live mealworm!!!

Spuds Mum
06-26-2008, 12:38 PM
yup, lots of people feed them these! I dont, even though the geckos eat them - mainly because I like to kiss my hams :oops: and I dont think I could cope with mealworm breath!! :wink:

arikata
06-26-2008, 12:41 PM
I dont think I could cope with mealworm breath!! :wink:

:shock: I just read through that post quickly, I thought you meant you ate them!! Goodness me!!

Spuds Mum
06-26-2008, 12:48 PM
Well I do like my food Katzilla, but even I am not that greedy!! :wink:

happysaz133
06-26-2008, 01:17 PM
Jasper usually gets some cucumber, or carrot or apple or something like that each day, and 5 yoghurt/milk/chocolate drops a day. He also has those hanging sticks in his cage, but he doesn't really eat them!

alvinsfamily
06-26-2008, 02:11 PM
I dont think I could cope with mealworm breath!! :wink:

:shock: I just read through that post quickly, I thought you meant you ate them!! Goodness me!!

Thats funny!!! x

BatKat
06-26-2008, 05:14 PM
Ours get a small bowl of fruit and veg daily. Usually Broccoli, carrot, peas, apple, pear, cucumber and sometimes a few nibblets of sweetcorn. They also get baby rice made with cat milk and the 3 eyeless whites get stewed vegetable puree too. Dry treats include dari seed, millet, sunflower hearts, porridge oats, chopped nuts and dog biscuits. They don't have everthing every day but they do get spoilt :D A small piece of chicken breast & boiled egg occasionally too :D

VilleValoRocks
07-02-2008, 01:33 PM
I give mine a couple of yoghurt or chocolate drops every other day or so, and just a bit of whatever fruit we've got in the house daily :D