PDA

View Full Version : My NEW Campbells always bite me

Bhatav
11-14-2013, 10:35 AM
Hello everyone ...

I had keep my campbells, but he is always bite me,
WHy My NEW Campbells always bite me? and how to resolve this matter?

and, is it true the winter white is more tame than campbells ?

Please help me for this problem :)
Thanks

evel_lin
11-14-2013, 01:55 PM
Is he a genuine Campbells or a hybrid from a petshop? Sounds like he just needs a bit more effort with taming. For what it's worth my Winter White girl spent the first 3 months of her life with me nibbling my fingers all the time, I guess she was just seeing if I tasted good lol

vicky123
11-14-2013, 02:11 PM

Bhatav
11-15-2013, 09:34 AM
Is he a genuine Campbells or a hybrid from a petshop? Sounds like he just needs a bit more effort with taming. FWIW my Winter White girl spent the first 3 months of her life with me nibbling my fingers all the time, I guess she was just seeing if I tasted good lol

i don't know, but i think he is genuine campbells :D

do you have good tips or tricks for me and my hamster to be more friendly to each other ? :D

your hamster bite your finger fo r the first 3 month?
hmm... i think your finger so tasty lol

Thanks for replying :)

luxbear
11-16-2013, 10:31 AM
I had a Campbells and she was a nibbler throughout her whooooole long two-year life. Nibbling can be due to numerous things - frustration, anxiousness, but most generally "Wow, your finger looks and smells like food!" :P

Be patient, especially during the taming process while your ham is still getting used to you. Gentle petting and rewarding him with snacks for his good behavior can be effective.

HollyHamster
11-16-2013, 01:13 PM
First off, is your Campbells from a pet store? If so, he may very well be a hybrid. If not, Campbells in general are the most "bitey" of the hamster species. So that is something to keep in mind.

Either way, I would let the little guy settle in some more and get used to your house. New places are always stressful on hams and they react to that stress by biting.

Bhatav
02-19-2014, 07:27 PM
I had a Campbells and she was a nibbler throughout her whooooole long two-year life. Nibbling can be due to numerous things - frustration, anxiousness, but most generally "Wow, your finger looks and smells like food!" :P

Be patient, especially during the taming process while your ham is still getting used to you. Gentle petting and rewarding him with snacks for his good behavior can be effective.

:lol my finger like a fast food,
yes, i always patient,

First off, is your Campbells from a pet store? If so, he may very well be a hybrid. If not, Campbells in general are the most "bitey" of the hamster species. So that is something to keep in mind.

Either way, I would let the little guy settle in some more and get used to your house. New places are always stressful on hams and they react to that stress by biting.

but, could campbells be tame as winter white species?

Colby and the Dwarfs
02-19-2014, 07:58 PM
Hi, I raise Campbell's, so I hope I can help you.

First off, no matter what the breed, ALL hamsters, at one point, could be tamed. No hamster is born "mean".

Your hamster is from a petshop? If so, forget about her being a Campbell's;she's a hybrid. Or at least you can't prove otherwise, so by default she's hybrid. Make sure you read up on the diabetic hams, just in case.

Your hamster CAN be tamed. Have you tried the bathtub method? How long have you had said hamster? Have you tried Gloves? Treats?

I find hamsters are creatures of habit. If they bite you and you put them down, they learn that "bite= I get to go down". Instead, teach them things like "Bite=nothing happens" by wearing gloves for the pain and not putting them down except on your terms, or teach them "being held=good things" by giving them treats while you hold them. And high value treats too!

And Holly, I always considered robos the most "bitey species"? Maybe I just think that because they're "crazy", ha!

lisab
02-20-2014, 03:11 AM
Double post

lisab
02-20-2014, 03:12 AM
I don't think of campbells as more bitey. In fact the first to bite was a winter white a few weeks ago, just because she didn't like her nails being cut.
When I show my campbells there is always the comment of how friendly they are compared to some scatty winter whites.
If they are pet shop dwarfs they are going to need taming as they probably have not been handled very well. Where as breeder dwarfs are more likely to be handled as soon as eyes are open.
Give it time and try the different methods, it should work eventually.
Is it just a quick nip, or is there blood being drawn? if its a nip then its work a try with gloves and some treats. Don't put back in the cage as Colby says they will accosiate with I bite you will put me back in the cage and leave me alone.

HollyHamster
02-20-2014, 03:42 AM
I have to say, my robo isn't at all bitey. Must just be my particular robo girl though.

Hekomi
02-20-2014, 12:45 PM
Neither have bitten me, though both, when they were younger, chomped my SO at one point or another. Caramel likes to nibble my fingers gently though as he licks off the salt, haha.

Just take your time with them. :) Some hamsters are more quick to warm up than others. Mocha loves to scamper into my hand, but Caramel still won't climb right onto my palm as easily.