PDA

View Full Version : Syrian with Obsessive Behavior?

HollyHamster
11-05-2013, 07:51 PM
*le sigh*

The newest Puffkin, the long haired banded pale cream Syrian with mottled ears, has been displaying the very same behavior that got me to take her home from Petco (I should add that I did so out of wanting to help her and not because I was amused). She is bobbing and weaving back and forth at the back of the tank, behind the wheel. My instant reaction is that it has to do with her lack of handling, and enrichment at the store and she began to display obsessive compulsive behaviors. Its just like the dwarfs who spend all their time doing back flips.

While I was at the store, the employee getting her out for me said that she had never ever used the flying saucer there, instead doing the afore mentioned behavior almost constantly for the 2 month duration that she was there. My worst fear is that she is beyond help. Is there anything I can do, anything at all, to help her? Or is she doomed to obsessively repeat this behavior for the rest of her life?

BrainGirl
11-05-2013, 08:37 PM
It is psychological and may have been caused by her situation before you got her. It may be that she will never get over it but I do hope you'll give her the enriched environment she needs and give her the best chance possible!

Stereotypy (non-human) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stereotypy_%28non-human%29)