PDA

View Full Version : Will he always be like this?

Ch3rrie
09-27-2013, 02:53 PM
Hi,

We have had Smudge for over 2 weeks now. He was from a rescue pet part of pets at home and is approx 3-4 months.

For the first few days, I left him to get used to his home but did speak to him so he'd know my voice.
After that I tried touching him but he seemed so scared and hid. I now try and give him food or treats but he doesn't come near to take them.
I leave my hand in the cage and speak to him but he doesn't want to come near me.
The only times I have held him is when I've had no choice but to grab him!! And then I have only done it to put him in his ball and for him to try out the play area I made him (which he didn't like).

Honestly, I don't know if what I am doing is right. I don't know if I am making him more scared, or if this is how Robos are.... I just feel guilty that he isn't enjoying at least being stroked and am scared he will not feel used to us and might become isolated and unhappy.
I have managed to touch him but he has pretty much been cornered, on his wheel or in his ball. I hated doing it though as he obviously didn't like it.

I am not sure what I should do, persist or leave him? I of course want to stroke and hold him, but if he doesn't like this then that is fine. I just want him to be as happy as he can be.

pixiehollow
09-27-2013, 02:58 PM
My robo is the same, he doesn't like being touched particularly. I just leave him to it, he is happy on his own playing and spinning on his wheels.
Just make sure your little one has plenty to do!

Robos can be tamed but it is a LONG process and some just don't want to, they aren't a species that tames easily!!

Ch3rrie
09-27-2013, 03:19 PM
Thank you, Pixie :-) I am happy to leave him to it if he is happy.

pixiehollow
09-27-2013, 04:59 PM
Thank you, Pixie :-) I am happy to leave him to it if he is happy.

No problem :)

I got him knowing I most likely wouldn't be able to 'play' with him like my other 2 but had to have him:mad: He was being attacked by cagemates in P@H and I fell head over heels for him so he snuck into by bag haha!!

He has an Alaska cage, with a silent spinner and flying saucer and a bunch of toys. Very happy boy.

Your boy may tame over time but it will take alot of patience, it stressed Sebby to much so I just leave him to it. He's fine if I'm cleaning him out, doesn't mind my hand in the cage but runs if it goes anywhere near him:rolleyes:

Ch3rrie
09-28-2013, 10:02 AM
Yes, that is what smudge does. He doesn't mind my hand in his cage at all but if I get too close he runs. He did come and sniff near me this morning when he woke for a drink so that is progress :)
I also fell in love with Smudge. I was looking for a Syrian hamster but couldn't take my eyes off Smudge. I had to have him. I had no idea about Robo's, but I know he needed to come with me :)

racinghamster
09-28-2013, 11:12 AM
Everything that pixiehollow has said reflects what robos are. They are `leave me alone to do my own thing` hamsters! If you wanted a hamster you could handle, then a robo was the wrong choice! :mad: Some do tame down and become a little less stressed, but 99% of robos will just run and jump and won`t tolerate handling. It`s lovely that you gave him a home though. You just need to make sure he has a good size cage and a fast wheel, like a regular silent spinner and he will be as happy as can be! :)

Balls are not suitable for robos because they are too fast and have long back legs that propel them like grasshoppers! So placing him inside a ball will just make him nervous. It`s better just to allow him to play in an old box lid and practice leaving little seed treats in one place inside his cage. He will see you place a sunflower seed or a little piece of small animal friendly chocco drop in his `treat area` and he will more than likely get into a routine.

I have had four single roborovski hamsters now and all were rehomed from various places. The old lad I have now is just over two years old, but still has the energy of a youngster. They really do stay like this well into old age. Enjoy Smudge for who he is and let him be the boss! :)

Ch3rrie
09-29-2013, 02:13 AM
Thank you for the tips and information, I will :)
I have been giving him the yoghurt treats and when I go into his cage now, he seems to expect me to give him some!!

Ch3rrie
09-29-2013, 02:19 AM
Is a flying saucer or the silent spinner best?
He has a normal wheel now.
What size wheel or saucer too?
His cage has 3 levels, he does regularly go up there, is it safe to put a wheel up there?

racinghamster
09-29-2013, 04:15 AM
I always use silent spinner wheels (the 6.5" regular size) as the mini size is a bit small. But any good 5.5" or 6" inch wheel would be fine. I prefer upright wheels because Flying saucers don`t seem to give the hamster the same running action they would have as if running along the ground naturally. They twist at an angle on a flying saucer and can cause some robos to develop a circling condition, so I would go for an upright wheel, especially if that is what he is used to using.

What multi-level cage is he in? Tubes that run upright are not ideal for robos as they can have difficulty getting up and down them. But if your cage has solid ramps those are fine. Always try to have the wheel on the ground level if you can.

Ch3rrie
10-03-2013, 03:25 PM
So sorry for the really slow reply!!!
Thank you, I will get a silent spinner.
He has no tubes so that is ok :) He has ramps. He doesn't go to the top one at all. I put treats up there and they have not been touched.
I am thinking about getting him another cage that is just 1 floor and using this bigger one for a Syrian or Rats.

squishyhammy
10-03-2013, 09:27 PM
my robo sometimes sits on my hand and licks me!
wheels always on ground as robos have a habit of flying off. my robo has both a flying saucer and silent spiner and prefers the flying saucer

SoapyVP
10-08-2013, 04:55 AM
I had 3 robo girls who would climb over my hands and sit on my hand to eat. I have 2 robo boys who are very skittish and do not want me near them unless I'm handing them a treat which they'll take and then leave. :-)