PDA

View Full Version : Concerned About Ruby

Syrian Hammy
09-26-2013, 08:10 AM
Ruby went to the vets to get her nails clipped a week ago. She found the whole experience quite stressful. Since then her sleeping pattern has changed. She isn't up when I go to bed (around 1am) When I do have her out which isn't very often she sometimes makes these weird noises like a sniff then grooms herself. I've also heard my hams make this noise when they burrow, not explaining it to well. I'm guessing she's stressed when I have her out but I don't know why. She's eating and drinking normally. She uses her wheel at some point during the night because there's wee on it in the morning. I don't really know how to explain this to the vet. Maybe I'm worrying over nothing but though I'd ask her before taking her to the vets.

racinghamster
09-26-2013, 10:57 AM
Your not the first to have this happen this week. Another member (look in the Health section) has had a similar experience while having her Syrians nails clipped and has discovered her hamster isn`t using one of it`s front limbs so well and is putting this down to the nail trimming experience. Sometimes it`s unavoidable and we have to seek the vets help with these matters, but it can be done at home if another person can help out holding the hamster in a towel, or using a kitchen sieve where the claws will poke through and you can snip just the end off using simple nail clippers or small scissors, just taking your time.

If Ruby is going about her normal business eating, drinking and using her wheel, she may just have been a little put out by the stress, but give her some space for a few days and see if she goes back to normal. x